Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

약속 vs 선약

Eddie
New in Town

약속 vs 선약

Postby Eddie » January 3rd, 2009 12:11 pm

I hear 약속 in spoken Korean all the time, and I've seen 선약 in my textbook. My dictionary says 약속 = 'promise', and this is the word Koreans use when they have a 'previous engagement' and cannot meet with me at a time I requested. So I use 약속 in this situation also. My dictionary says that 선약 = 'previous engagement', so I'm a bit confused about their distinction. Are they interchangeable? What is the nuance for these words?

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » January 3rd, 2009 2:32 pm

hey there Eddie and welcome to the forums! great question btw!

I think the real question should be 계획 vs. 약속 vs. 선약. I was first introduced to "약속" and have considered that to be more colloquial. However, a few textbooks have used "계획" so I have since tried to incorporate both - however, as a beginning speaker, "계획" can seriously be hard to pronounce (for me at least).

Like you, I have never heard "선약" in a spoken setting and my dictionary marks "선약" with a marker that indicates that it is an older term for the same word as "약속" but my dictionary has been wrong before...in fact, using a different hanja, 선약 seems to be a miracle drug - like a really good 약국 약 :)

anyone have a definitive answer?

Join by May 6th
Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » January 3rd, 2009 10:44 pm

선약 is typically used for business arrangements and not horribly common.

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » January 4th, 2009 1:16 am

Chris1 wrote:선약 is typically used for business arrangements and not horribly common.

Yeah, 선약 sounds horribly formal. Since your dictionary calls it "previous engagement" it might be interested to know that it has the same meaning as 선 in 선생님, which is commonly used as "teacher" but literally means something like "previously-born person"

I think , 약속 is perfectly appropriate.

미안하지만, 다른 약속있어서 등산 못 가요
Sorry, but since I have a another appointment I can't go hiking.
(Koreans will often call this a promise in English.
There is a different word for a doctor;s appointment, usually 예약 (which is also reservation like for movie tickets)

Notice that 약속 can refer to a future plan or an even that took place in the past. But it's usually used to describe something you are planning to do, which probably explains the "promise" bit.

Yet this is different that 계획 which is a plan, but I think implies something more hypothetical or in the realm of thought. It is a bigger commitment than a simple dinner date.

대학원 때 어학으로 공부할 계획이예요
I plan to study linguistics in graduate school.
Last edited by austinfd on January 4th, 2009 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » January 4th, 2009 1:21 am

Chris1 wrote:선약 is typically used for business arrangements and not horribly common.

선약(先約) is 한자어, That is basically why not many people of new generation who have no 한자 knowledge use the word.
It means 'having another plan' made ahead of time before someone else asks for that.
It can also be said nicely to get out of uncomfortable situation or meeting with someone who is not desired or to say 'no' indirectly to an invitation without offending anybody.

[명사]먼저 약속함. 또는 그런 약속.
o 저는 선약이 있어 먼저 일어서야 되겠습니다.meaning I have another 약속 and have to leave without saying of all those excesses or explanations like these; I had another appointment/engagement/plan made earlier than this event/meeting. I am in this meeting only because I have no choice or something but now it is time for me to get going before the party/meeting is over. Please let me go without bad feeling, or something like that.

So, 선약 can only be mentioned when another 약속 comes up in conflict with it.
Like this; 내일 9시에 만날 수 있을까요? Can I see you tomorrow at 9?
선약이 있어서 않되겠네요 Sorry but I have already made another plan and I can't make it.

Maybe only old timers know and use the word 선약.
I am a forever ESL student.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”