Or sign up using Facebook

My Korean Question Three

chinabiz
New in Town

My Korean Question Three

Postby chinabiz » December 3rd, 2008 3:25 pm

Question THREE:
As to 토요일 오후에 시간있으세요?
In this sentence, 시간 is the subject, right? Well, if yes, then shouldn't it(시간) has a particle '이' to show that it is the subject?
I'm wondering if it is for oral use and people omit 이 purposely? But if in written form (like printed in a book, for example), we'd better make it '시간이 있으세요?', am I right?

Most sincere Thanks to all of you, Iam even moved to see so many, so quick, so detailed, and so so so friendly and instructional replies!

Well, I'm afraid I made a mistake when I asked this question, so now I corrected it:
before it is we'd better make it '시간있으세요?'
the fact is I wanted it to be we'd better make it '시간이 있으세요?' as it is now after edition.
Last edited by chinabiz on December 4th, 2008 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

SiEd
Expert on Something

Re: My Korean Question Three

Postby SiEd » December 3rd, 2008 6:28 pm

chinabiz wrote:Question THREE:
As to 토요일 오후에 시간있으세요?
In this sentence, 시간 is the subject, right? Well, if yes, then shouldn't it(시간) has a particle '이' to show that it is the subject?
I'm wondering if it is for oral use and people omit 이 purposely? But if in written form (like printed in a book, for example), we'd better make it '시간있으세요?', am I right?

Well, in most written and formal contexts, the suffix -이/-가 should appear after the noun. However, in spoken conversation, there are plenty of situations where this can be omitted. And in this case, 시간 있다 is one context (out of many) where this omission can occur.

Another thing: the existential verb 있다 should be separated from any associated nouns. It's the copular verb 이다 that should be joined to a noun.
"I'm trying to make a pun, but it's not punny."
-Mas Widiyanto

Join by May 6th
Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » December 3rd, 2008 6:33 pm

The 이 is omitted here. Some Korean particles are omitted in certain cases to sound more natural in oral speech. It's not always a good thing to do as a Korean learner, and you really have to develop the ear as to when to keep or drop particles. It's clearly understood in this case that "time" is the subject. Formal writing almost always has associated particles and correct grammatical formation.

However, some even argue that 있으세요 doesn't make sense grammatically (as opposed to 있어요) even though a large percentage of Koreans use it in certain contexts. Sometimes 시간이 되세요? can be a little more formal.

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » December 4th, 2008 1:45 am

Well, I'm not sure if we should call it as "the subject".
In Korean grammar, it is considered as 보어(a complement) not 주어(a subject) and it's quite natural to omit a particle of a complement even in written Korean.
The subject of that sentence would be probably "you" but omitted I guess.
We could say 주격보어(a subjective complement) for 시간 and it also could be the real subject of that sentence on its meaning however.

Any other opinions?

:roll:

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » December 4th, 2008 8:33 am

manyakumi wrote:Well, I'm not sure if we should call it as "the subject".
In Korean grammar, it is considered as 보어(a complement) not 주어(a subject) and it's quite natural to omit a particle of a complement even in written Korean.
The subject of that sentence would be probably "you" but omitted I guess.
We could say 주격보어(a subjective complement) for 시간 and it also could be the real subject of that sentence on its meaning however.

Any other opinions?

:roll:

Yes, it seems like only the word that you would mark with -는 is the 주어. In this case that would be the omitted 'you'.

chinabiz
New in Town

quick conclusion

Postby chinabiz » December 4th, 2008 11:58 am

according to the above replies, may I conclude it like below:
we can say that sentence in following ways, and all of them are alright depending on when it is used?

1:너는 토요일 오후에 시간 있으세요? (oral use, 이 ommitted)

2:너는 토요일 오후에 시간이 있으세요? (written form)

3:토요일 오후에 시간 있으세요? (너는 omitted & oral use & 이 ommitted)

4:토요일 오후에 시간이 있으세요? (너는 omitted & written form)

5: 너는 토요일 오후에 시간이 있어요? (maybe this form is somekind of the perfect way of saying this sentence?)

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » December 4th, 2008 3:04 pm

Using 너 is rather direct and a low type of 반말, so using it in conjunction with 있으세요 or 있어요 does not make sense. It might be better to say 형은, 아저씨는, or any other host of possibilites.

Although it might be a general assumption that 시간이 있으세요 is safe in writing, but even in semi-formal or online writing, 시간 있어요 or 시간 있으세요 is perfectly fine. You'll just probably want to include the 이 in certain situations such as a business letter of some sort. On another note, you're neven really going to use 시간 있어? in any type of formal situation, so it's safe to say that the 이 just actually sounds kind of unnatural to use, especially when speaking. It doesn't flow quite right [시간이 있어?]. It makes perfect sense, but just sounds kind of unnatural when speaking it.

My opinion of a good sentence with this construction would be the following:
형은 혹시 토요일 오후에 시간 있을까요?

I hope I didn't confuse you more!

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”