a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

two work-related questions

matthew254
Expert on Something

two work-related questions

Postby matthew254 » November 4th, 2008 6:06 am

hey all

1) what would be a translation of 답답 해? It's said when a worker is working slowly and/or ineffectively, right? What can I say in English that resembles this?

2) what would 짜증나다 translate to? To be annoyed?

thanks!

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » November 4th, 2008 8:36 am

Matthew :)

짜증나 / 짜증나요 can be translated into many things but most commonly I think it can be translated as "It's so annoying." or "I hate it."

And for 답답하다, I think it's similar to "Ugh...." ^^ ㅎㅎ

Join by May 6th
yhenry
Expert on Something

Re: two work-related questions

Postby yhenry » November 4th, 2008 2:28 pm

matthew254 wrote:hey all

1) what would be a translation of 답답 해? It's said when a worker is working slowly and/or ineffectively, right? What can I say in English that resembles this?

2) what would 짜증나다 translate to? To be annoyed?

thanks!

Let me add a little more to unclog your 답답증세 heavy hearted symptom .

Basically and literally speaking, 답답하다 means feeling heavy in your chest like when you have a heartburn.

The same feeling can be caused by watching a clumsy person doing sloppy job, someone whose understanding of what you explained moves like the traffic standstill on the George Washington Bridge in the morning commute, or like speaking to a wall.

You would likely have the same feeling when you step in your room full of stale air due to no ventilation, or packed like sardines in a crowed subway.

If you have a problem but don't know what to do, you can say 가슴이 답답하다 as if you have a heartburn from the food you have eaten.

When someone call you '답답한 친구, you might be suborn, slow in understanding, narrow minded, not flexible, or not up to the speaker's standard or taste.

짜증나다 closely means to 'irritated', not excited to anger but upset feeling.
It is like 'ripple' effect on the surface of water in comparison to the big wave of anger.
So, it is of mildly upset emotion.

It can be interchangeable with '신경질나'.
If you are 짜증나 or 신경질나, you need to walk away from the situation and refresh yourself before it become to be a huge wave of anger.
If you see a person of 짜증쟁이 or 신경질쟁이, stay away from such person because you will definitely get irritated to eventually get angry if you stay there longer to endure those negative emotion day in day out.

Never date such a person however beautiful looking: you will get destroyed slowly.
Beauty is only skin deep.
I am a forever ESL student.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”