Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

difference btwn 애and 에?

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » October 31st, 2007 4:28 pm

I'm going to have to agree with the majority here, forget the romanization and just learn how each Korean letter sounds. The romanization just causes problems, I prefer that it be dropped from K-C but it does serve a purpose I suppose.

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » November 1st, 2007 1:35 am

I'm not sure if it's a sad thing that 에 (e) and 애 (ae) are nearly indecipherable for the younger generation. But languages are constantly evolving, and this is the direction that 에 (e) and 애 (ae) are going in.

Kind of like how English is pronounced differently all over the world, it had to evolve to change. And it's almost kind of cool to see it happening in Korean ;)

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
CarlKenner
Been Around a Bit

Postby CarlKenner » November 1st, 2007 8:52 pm

The thing is, if I want to remember how to spell a word, it really really helps if it is pronounced differently. For example learning that it is Hark Sang, and not Hark Seng is much easier than trying to remember if it has a dash on the left or in the middle.

ManuelinX
New in Town

Postby ManuelinX » August 20th, 2008 7:13 am

Oh my god!

I was talking to my korean friend about this spelling nightmare! I was trying really hard to catch the difference but it just din't work and my korean friend had a really difficult time trying to explain me the difference in msn messenger!! (Nightmare plus 2)

And for me the romanization it just don't work because I'm a spanish speaker and sometimes the english sounds it doesn''t work as any help for me (OK maybe sometimes, but english speakers have problems too)

And I thought that english phonics was hard at some point, that's the reason why I love learning other languages!

Habibi18
New in Town

Postby Habibi18 » August 21st, 2008 11:57 pm

austinfd wrote:It does make spelling a nightmare! :twisted:

Yes it does! Which gets me wondering why you're having so many different symbols for one sound? Now I'm wondering why 사랑해 isn't spelled 사랑햬, 사랑헤..... :twisted:

But hey every language has to have something crazy about it no? I love this site to death as Korean is my favorite language. I have a journal that I keep all my Korean vocab in.

Right now I'm listening to 보아 No.1.....how many of you love her to death?

안녕!

사랑해 한국말! ^.^

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”