Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

EDIT: i'm just going to keep adding questions here.. ^^

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » December 23rd, 2008 10:08 pm

holdfast wrote:...but perhaps it would help if i understood 더라고 as you mentioned in your explanation, chris1. could you explain that for me please?

It works very much the same way, except it's not a conjunction. It can be used as 더라, 더라고, 더라고요, 던데, 던데요, and often pronounced and spelled as 드라 in some 사투리 forms.

It basically means you're recalling something from memory.

a) 수진이가 집에 가더라 (I remember [seeing] 수진 going home)
b) 요즘 걔는 바쁜 것 같더라 (I [think/recall] him being quite busy these days.)

던데(요) is typically more "polite" and combines the meaning of ㄴ데:

가) 수진이 집에 갔지?
나) 학교 가는 길이었던데요...

I hope that clears it up a little bit.

nother thing that has been bothering me recently - it is probably a simple answer but i keep hearing (in 반말) people using 가지고 as a conjunction or even at the end of a sentence. i understand that 가지고 가다/오다 is to take/bring something with you, but it doesn't seem like the right context for what i'm hearing. is there another time when 가지고 is used? i've been hearing it A LOT!

Man, it took me FOREVER to figure this out. I haven't found it in any books, notes.. NOTHING. The big mystery is that it's (essentially) a 회화체 form of ~어서, but is somewhat different.

just saw in another post that 니 for questioning is 반말 but only for people younger than you....are there any other things that i should not say to someone who is older than me, even if i am on 반말 terms with them? i didn't realize such things existed - hopefully i haven't already offended anyone!

For starters, you don't want to say 너 and you don't want to be too intrusive into their business. It's also not uncommon to mix in low forms of 존댓말 when putting the older person in a "vunerable" position such as asking personal questions depending on the relationship/situation. Also, avoid using ~해라 as this is also really low 반말 that can be offensive to older people.

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » December 25th, 2008 4:12 am

Chris1 wrote:
another thing that has been bothering me recently - it is probably a simple answer but i keep hearing (in 반말) people using 가지고 as a conjunction or even at the end of a sentence. i understand that 가지고 가다/오다 is to take/bring something with you, but it doesn't seem like the right context for what i'm hearing. is there another time when 가지고 is used? i've been hearing it A LOT!

Man, it took me FOREVER to figure this out. I haven't found it in any books, notes.. NOTHING. The big mystery is that it's (essentially) a 회화체 form of ~어서, but is somewhat different.

You were right, Chris.
It's just a colloquial form of __서/__어서.

In Emily's example, 가지고(take/bring) needs its object.

Take this and go.
(이거) 가지고 가세요.

He came here bringing a huge bag.
그는 커다란 가방을 가지고 여기에 왔다.

The objects are usually nouns but sometimes they could be verbs.
Verb stem + ㅏ/ㅓ/아/어 가지고

We packed some 김밥 and went on a picnic.
우리는 김밥을 싸 가지고 소풍을 갔다.

As you see above,
when a verb comes before 가지고 means "bringing (the condition of) verb-ing.

I'm not hungry at all since I ate too much for lunch.
점심을 너무 많이 먹어 가지고 전혀 배고프지 않아요.
= 점심을 너무 많이 먹어서 전혀 배고프지 않아요.
= 점심을 너무 많이 먹었더니 전혀 배고프지 않아요.

Aren't you tired since you didn't sleep last night?
어젯밤에 안 자 가지고 피곤하지 않아요?
= 어젯밤에 안 자서 피곤하지 않아요?
= 어젯밤에 안 잤는데 피곤하지 않아요?

A: Why did you pick that flower?
왜 그 꽃을 꺾었어요?
B: Because it was so pretty.
너무 예뻐 가지고요.
= 너무 예뻐서요.

And sometimes it means "and" or "in addition to".

She is ugly and also have a bad manner.
그녀는 못 생겨 가지고 매너도 없다.
= 그녀는 못 생겼는데 매너도 없다.
= 그녀는 못 생긴데다가 매너도 없다.
-> 매너도 없네. 못 생겨 가지고...

Sometimes 가지고 is pronounced as like 갖고 or 갖구 often in colloquial terms.
:)

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » December 29th, 2008 2:02 am

hmmm... so, are 더라고 and 더니 only from a personal experience, or can it be used to recall secondhand information?

also, what is the meaning of 느라 as a conjunction? i've seen it a lot, but the only example i have right now is from 우리 결혼 했어요 - 드라마 준비하느라 피곤한 모습을 자주 보여준 현중 i can guess that it means hyunjoong is showing a tired side of him because he's preparing for shooting a drama, but i still wonder what the actual function of 느라 is.

and what exactly does 어쩔 수 없다 mean? i figured it was something like "i can't help it" or something like that.. and does it come from 어쩌다 (by chance)?

again thank you so much for all the help!!!!!!! (:

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » December 29th, 2008 3:44 am

holdfast wrote:hmmm... so, are 더라고 and 더니 only from a personal experience, or can it be used to recall secondhand information?

They're used typically for recollections. Secondhand information is done by ~다고 하다/그러다/etc. which can be contracted to ~한대 (한다고 한다).

also, what is the meaning of 느라 as a conjunction? i've seen it a lot, but the only example i have right now is from 우리 결혼 했어요 - 드라마 준비하느라 피곤한 모습을 자주 보여준 현중 i can guess that it means hyunjoong is showing a tired side of him because he's preparing for shooting a drama, but i still wonder what the actual function of 느라 is.

It's a type of "beacause" meaning that the proceeding clause is inhibiting the second.

공부하느라(고) 졸업식 못 갔었다.
I was busy studying, so I couldn't go to the graduation.
With studying and all, I couldn't make it to the graduation.

일도 하느라(고) 공부도 하느라(고) 놀 시간이 없다.
I don't have any time to have fun because I work and study.
With work and school, I don't have much time to have fun/play/relax.

and what exactly does 어쩔 수 없다 mean? i figured it was something like "i can't help it" or something like that.. and does it come from 어쩌다 (by chance)?

Yes and yes!

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » December 29th, 2008 4:32 am

Chris has already answered while I was writing. hehe..
So I'm just going to add some examples.

holdfast wrote: hmmm... so, are 더라고 and 더니 only from a personal experience, or can it be used to recall secondhand information?

In order to recall secondhand informations,
you could use 다더라고/라더라고 or 다더니/라더니

다더라고 = 다고 하더라고
라더라고 = 라고 하더라고
다더니 = 다고 하더니
라더니 = 라고 하더니

A: 쟤는 공부한다더니 왜 왔어?
> What is he doing here while you have said he was studying?
B: 오늘밖에 올 시간이 없다더라고.
> He said there's no time to come but today.

A: 그 친구는 바쁘다더니 오늘도 못 오나 봐요?
> I heard your friend is busy so he seems not to come even today.
B: 예. 저한테 대신 다녀 오라더라고요.
> Yes. He asked me coming instead.

A: 가는 날이 장날이라더니 하필이면 오늘 백화점이 쉬더라고요.
> As luck would have it, the department store had been closed today.
B: 그래. 내일까지 휴무라더라고.
> Yeah, I heard they will be off until the day next tomorrow.

holdfast wrote: also, what is the meaning of 느라 as a conjunction? i've seen it a lot, but the only example i have right now is from 우리 결혼 했어요 - 드라마 준비하느라 피곤한 모습을 자주 보여준 현중 i can guess that it means hyunjoong is showing a tired side of him because he's preparing for shooting a drama, but i still wonder what the actual function of 느라 is.

It has its meaning of "because (of)/as/since/owing to/due to" (by Naver dic)

(A)느라 (B)
(A)느라고 (B)
Verb stem + 느라/느라고
The clause (A) become a purpose or a cause of the clause (B).

한국어 공부하느라 힘드시죠?
= 한국어 공부한다고 힘드시죠?
= 한국어 공부하는데 힘드시죠?
You're having hard times on studying Korean, aren't you?

에밀리는 숙제하느라고 바쁘니까 다음에 전화해 주세요.
= 에밀리는 숙제한다고 바쁘니까 다음에 전화해 주세요.
= 에밀리는 숙제하는데 바쁘니까 다음에 전화해 주세요.
Please give a call next time since Emily's busy doing her homework.

holdfast wrote: and what exactly does 어쩔 수 없다 mean? i figured it was something like "i can't help it" or something like that.. and does it come from 어쩌다 (by chance)?

I think you were right on your translation.

어쩌다 is a shorten form of 어쩌다가 which means "by chance"
Its original form would be 어떻게 하다가,
Literally it means "on/by doing something"

A: 어쩌다가 다쳤어요?
> What made you get hurt?
B: 어쩌다 보니 다쳤어요.
> I found me got hurt by doing something.

But I think 어쩌다 in 어쩔 수 없다 came from this verb.

어쩌다 = 어찌하다 = 어떻게 하다 : do something
어쩔 수 없다 : to have got nothing to do

A: 돈이 없는데 어쩌죠?
> What shall we do while we have no money?
B: 어쩔 수 없죠, 사정해 보는 수 밖에.
> I've got nothing to do but begging.

:)

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » January 12th, 2009 12:13 am

와~~~ 그거 좀 어려운데요... ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ.... 그래도 감사합니다~

다시 묻겠습니다~~ (if you are ever tired of me asking questions, just let me know!)

- this is probably really old language too, since i only see it at church, but i keep seeing things like (으)리 (하지 않으리 or 드리리) and also ~리라 (can't think of an example right now) and sometimes even ~사 (i think it is some sort of grammatical thing, but i can't figure it out, but i can't think of an example for it either)

- is 면서 also used as an indirect quote, and how is it different than the others?

- am i right in assuming that 그러자 그러고 and 또한 are connecting words? 그러고 and 또한 seem fairly self explanatory, but i am unsure about 그러자.

- 몇 means "how many" but can it also mean "some"? as in 몇번 (some people) or 몇십% (a good percentage or most of something)? i also saw 몇몇 and took it to mean "some".

hmm.. well, i think that is all for now ^^;;;

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » January 12th, 2009 9:33 am

holdfast wrote: 다시 묻겠습니다~~ (if you are ever tired of me asking questions, just let me know!)

This forum never gets tired. lol

holdfast wrote: - this is probably really old language too, since i only see it at church, but i keep seeing things like (으)리 (하지 않으리 or 드리리) and also ~리라 (can't think of an example right now) and sometimes even ~사 (i think it is some sort of grammatical thing, but i can't figure it out, but i can't think of an example for it either)

These copulas are related to the speaker's expectations or wills, kinda poetic.
You might have heard these expressions in some historical dramas by any chance,
they were used for the future tense in old days.

내 결코 이 은혜를 잊지 않으리다.
> I will never be ungrateful to you.
> Modern : 저는 결코 이 은혜를 잊지 않겠습니다.

나 그대에게 모두 드리리.
> I will give you all of me.

These are used for song lyrics even today because they are good to make the rhymes.
And 리라 form is often used in normal conversation like this.

저는 그가 오리라(고) 생각해요.
> I think he will come.
새해부터 담배를 끊으리라 다짐했건만...
> I have decided to quit smoking from this new year's beginning but...

And sometimes 리 ending is used for asking favors. (same with 랴)

내가 해 주리? (주랴?)
> Do you want me to do that?

Or sometimes for re-asking in order to express "will not" in a sarcastic way.

그럼 내가 개 밥을 먹으리?
> Then should I eat the dog's food? (I will never eat that)
네가 안 하면 내가 하리?
> Should I do that while you won't? (usually said by 선배s to 후배s)

holdfast wrote: - 몇 means "how many" but can it also mean "some"? as in 몇번 (some people) or 몇십% (a good percentage or most of something)? i also saw 몇몇 and took it to mean "some".

Yeah, you're right.
It means "some" as well.

Since my time is running out, I've got to leave the rests for later.
Or is there someone else willing to help?

:wink:

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » January 12th, 2009 5:11 pm

Alright, I'm back. :)

holdfast wrote: - is 면서 also used as an indirect quote, and how is it different than the others?

This is used when two things happen at the same time.
As you already know, it's same with the usage of the conjunction _면서.

나는 밥 먹으면서 TV를 본다.

Just one thing of two would be the quoted "saying".

그는 바쁘다면서 먼저 갔어요.
> He went away earlier saying he was busy.
=그는 바쁘다고 하면서 먼저 갔어요.

holdfast wrote: - am i right in assuming that 그러자 그러고 and 또한 are connecting words? 그러고 and 또한 seem fairly self explanatory, but i am unsure about 그러자.

그러자 = 그리하자

나는 문을 두드렸다. 그러자 문이 천천히 열렸다.
I knocked the door. And then the door opened slowly.
-> 내가 문을 두드리자 문이 천천히 열렸다.

Well... I'm too dull to give you the better right now.
Maybe because I'm sleepy. hehe...
Sweet dreams, everyone!

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » January 12th, 2009 5:13 pm

holdfast wrote:- is 면서 also used as an indirect quote, and how is it different than the others?

I've seen this ending contracted with quotation endings, like:

-(ㄴ)다면서, -라면서, etc.
which expand to -(ㄴ)다고 하면서, -라고 하면서, so it combines quotation and conjunction

- 몇 means "how many" but can it also mean "some"? as in 몇번 (some people) or 몇십% (a good percentage or most of something)? i also saw 몇몇 and took it to mean "some".

Like other interrogative words (누가, 어떤, 뭣, etc), you can use 몇 in any declarative sentence with a counting word to say 'some'.
i.e. 몇 년 동안 한국말을 공부했습니다.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » January 30th, 2009 4:57 am

^^ 수고 했습니다~~

i don't think i'll ever run out of questions.

- my friend tried to teach me about ~~ㄹ/을 걸 ending, but she wasn't able to explain it very well. she said it expresses some regret about something that didn't happen. the example we were using was this - (we were talking about how ftts singer brian speaks english so well because he grew up in new jersey) and my friend said 나도 어렸을 때 미국 갈 걸.. 그렇면 영어 잘 했을 텐데.... and i understand that this means something like "i wish i could have gone to america when i was young too.. if i did i would be able to speak english really well.." but i don't understand the 갈 걸 part.. i know the whole sentence is past tense, but 갈 is future tense, and i'm assuming that 걸 is 것을? it seems like part of the sentence is missing - almost like it should read something like 나도 어렸을 때 미굴에 갈 걸 있었면 좋겠다 or something.... am i even close? o.O

- i keep seeing 퍼가요 as comments on cyworld but i can't find a definition.....??

- what is the difference between 덕분에 and 때문에 if there is one?

and i have been trying to figure out some more difficult sentence patterns... like, how would i say something like: "even if (A situation) happens, how would (B situation) be able to happen?" example: "even if i find a new house, how will i be able to move my stuff there?" i am not sure how to say something like this, but i want to stress the "even if" part.

i had more things to ask... but i forgot. so i'll ask again. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ ^^
안녕하세요~ 에밀리입니다~~ ^^
korean blog: http://holdfasthope.wordpress.com
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sendmetokorea

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » January 30th, 2009 5:35 am

holdfast wrote:^^ 수고 했습니다~~

i don't think i'll ever run out of questions.

- my friend tried to teach me about ~~ㄹ/을 걸 ending, but she wasn't able to explain it very well. she said it expresses some regret about something that didn't happen. the example we were using was this - (we were talking about how ftts singer brian speaks english so well because he grew up in new jersey) and my friend said 나도 어렸을 때 미국 갈 걸.. 그렇면 영어 잘 했을 텐데.... and i understand that this means something like "i wish i could have gone to america when i was young too.. if i did i would be able to speak english really well.." but i don't understand the 갈 걸 part.. i know the whole sentence is past tense, but 갈 is future tense, and i'm assuming that 걸 is 것을? it seems like part of the sentence is missing - almost like it should read something like 나도 어렸을 때 미굴에 갈 걸 있었면 좋겠다 or something.... am i even close? o.O

You typically use this when you are guessing, not quite sure, trying to remember, or regretting something. It is not 것을. I understand your confusion why you think it's weird that it's future, but it's just a nuance that is specific to this construction.

1. 속이 안 좋은데 점심을 굶을 걸 그랬어요.
2. 친구들이 오는 줄 알았으면 외출하지 않았을걸.
3. 오늘부터 연후인 줄 알았더라면 여행이라도 갈걸.
4. 미리 시험준비를 했더라면 좋았을걸..

It would best translate into "Nice!" or "Good picture", but it literally means "I'm taking it" or "I'm stealing it [becaue it's so good]" to put on their own cyworld. I found a better definition here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 533AA2wsq0

- what is the difference between 덕분에 and 때문에 if there is one?

덕분에 is like "thanks to" to giving credit to--usually to a person:

너 덕분에 공부를 잘 할 수 있어.

and i have been trying to figure out some more difficult sentence patterns... like, how would i say something like: "even if (A situation) happens, how would (B situation) be able to happen?" example: "even if i find a new house, how will i be able to move my stuff there?" i am not sure how to say something like this, but i want to stress the "even if" part.

I think this would translate as: 내가 다른 집으로 이사 가기로 하더라도 모든 내 물건을 어떻게 옮길 수 있을까?

I'm sure a native speaker will correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck!

P.S. --> I haven't forgotten about it!

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » January 30th, 2009 6:20 am

Chris1 wrote: I'm sure a native speaker will correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, the native came here. ;)
Well done, Chris.

Chris1 wrote: It is not 것을. I understand your confusion why you think it's weird that it's future, but it's just a nuance that is specific to this construction.

Actually it is.
It shows one's regret for the things which were supposed to be happen but didn't happen actually.
Let me show the hidden meanings of your examples.

1. 속이 안 좋은데 점심을 굶을 것을 그랬어요.
> 굶을 것을 안 해서 (안 굶어서) 속이 안 좋아요.

2. 친구들이 오는 줄 알았으면 외출하지 않았을 것을...
> 외출하지 않았을 것을 해서 친구들이 와도 맞아 줄 수 없었어요.

3. 오늘부터 연휴인 줄 알았더라면 여행이라도 갈 것을...
> 오늘부터 연휴인 줄 몰랐어서 여행이라도 갈 것을 못 갔어요.

4. 미리 시험준비를 했더라면 좋았을 것을...
> 미리 시험준비를 했더라면 좋았을 것을 안 해서 안 좋아요.

And about the future tense,
you should understand ㄹ/을/를 것 form.

먹을 것 : the foods (things to eat)
탈 것 : the transportations (things to ride)
할 일 : 'to do' things

어제 할* 것을 안했으니 오늘 바쁜 것이다.
You are busy today since you didn't do the things were supposed to be done yesterday.

As you see, it always has future tense.

퍼가다 is a combination of two verbs 푸다 + 가다.

푸 + ㅓ = 퍼 ('ㅓ' irregular verb)

퍼가요 means 'I'm going to quote you'. :)

덕분에 is like "thanks to" to giving credit to--usually to a person:

네 덕분에 공부를 잘 할 수 있어.

Exactly.

Let's say as '집을 구하다' for 'find a house'.

Even if I find a new house...
새 집을 구하더라도...
새 집을 구한다고 해도...
새 집을 구한다고 하더라도...
새 집을 구한다고 쳐도...
새 집을 구한다고 할지라도...
(You can use '새 집은' here as well in order to emphasize the object '새 집'.)

how will i be able to move my stuff there?
제 물건들은 어떻게 가져다 놓죠?
제 짐들은 어떻게 옮기죠?

Hope this helps!
:D

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » March 3rd, 2009 1:27 am

as always 감사합니다~~ 지난 주말에 수련회 갔어서 궁금 한 것을 많아요 지금 ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

-i understand that 줄 알아 is used to talk about something that you know how to do, but i heard it a lot this weekend and it seemed to mean "i thought that...." when you thought something that turned out to be wrong. is there a meaning like that, and how do you use it?

-what is the difference between 있는 것 and 있다는 것? or with a different verb - what is the difference between ~는 것 and ~다는 것? i understand the 는 것 part, but i don't understand how adding 다 changes the meaning.

-what is the meaning of the ending 나봐 or 나보다? i am assuming it's something like "i guess.." or "it must be....." like in 나 미쳐나봐 (i must be crazy) or 많이 최했나봐 (i guess i was really drunk). is that the meaning? is there a different meaning? also, i have never heard ~나봐요 but i have heard ~나보다 a lot. is that the polite way to say it, or is there a different way?

-i asked about the 을걸 sentence ending as a way to show regret for something that didn't happen yet, and i understand the meaning, but i was wondering how you would end that kind of a sentence if you were trying to be polite? or can you only use that in 반말?

-in the last explanation manyakumi said 구한다고 쳐도 and 구한다고 할지라도 but i don't understand 쳐도 and 할지라도...

-what is the difference between using ~스겁게, ~스레, and ~스러워?

~i know that 자마자 means "as soon as..." but i also see things like 12시 되자 which is translated as "after 12" - is that 자 the same as 자마자? is it the same meaning, or is it more like saying 12시 되는 후에?

hmm....... i think that's all for now. ^^
안녕하세요~ 에밀리입니다~~ ^^

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » March 4th, 2009 3:35 pm

holdfast wrote: -i understand that 줄 알아 is used to talk about something that you know how to do, but i heard it a lot this weekend and it seemed to mean "i thought that...." when you thought something that turned out to be wrong. is there a meaning like that, and how do you use it?

1. verb stem + ㄹ/을 줄 알다 : to know how to ...

이거 먹을 줄 알아요?
Do you know how to eat this?

그는 자전거 탈 줄 몰라요.
He doesn't know how to ride a bicycle.

2. verb(past/present/future) + 줄 알다 : to know/think/consider/assume that

나는 네가 안 올 줄 알았어.
I didn't know that you would come.
(알다 should be 'past' tense, 알았다 when the subject is "i")

에밀리가 또 질문할 줄 알았어요. ㅋㅋㅋ
I knew that Emily will ask again.

그는 당신이 이미 떠난 줄 알아요.
He thinks that you've left already.

그녀는 당신이 거기 가는 줄 모를 거예요.
Maybe she doesn't know that you are going there.

holdfast wrote: -what is the difference between 있는 것 and 있다는 것? or with a different verb - what is the difference between ~는 것 and ~다는 것? i understand the 는 것 part, but i don't understand how adding 다 changes the meaning.

그는 내가 오는 것을 몰라요.
그는 내가 온다는 것을 몰라요.
He doesn't know that I come.

The meaning was not changed but the structure.
It's kind a 'quote' sentence and I guess native Koreans more prefer this structure in colloquial situations.
It gives us a break to think following words sometimes.

그는 '내가 온다'는 것을 몰라요.

holdfast wrote: -what is the meaning of the ending 나봐 or 나보다? i am assuming it's something like "i guess.." or "it must be....." like in 나 미쳐나봐 (i must be crazy) or 많이 최했나봐 (i guess i was really drunk). is that the meaning? is there a different meaning? also, i have never heard ~나봐요 but i have heard ~나보다 a lot. is that the polite way to say it, or is there a different way?

Correct.

나 미쳤나 봐요.
많이 취했나 봐요.

나 미쳤나 보네요.
많이 취했나 보네요.

제가 미쳤나 봅니다.
많이 취했나 봅니다.

제가 미쳤나 보군요.
많이 취했나 보군요.

Take any of these. ;)

holdfast wrote: -i asked about the 을걸 sentence ending as a way to show regret for something that didn't happen yet, and i understand the meaning, but i was wondering how you would end that kind of a sentence if you were trying to be polite? or can you only use that in 반말?

You can be polite by saying ...을 걸 그랬어요.

제가 먼저 갈 걸 그랬네요.
I think I should have gone first.

아까 점심을 먹을 걸 그랬어요.
I guess we should have had lunch earlier.

holdfast wrote: -in the last explanation manyakumi said 구한다고 쳐도 and 구한다고 할지라도 but i don't understand 쳐도 and 할지라도...

_다고/_라고/_로 치다 means "to consider/regard as ..." or "to assume that".

할지라도
하다 > 하 + ㄹ지라도 (a conjunctive suffix that means "even though/even if/although/...)

holdfast wrote: -what is the difference between using ~스겁게, ~스레, and ~스러워?

스러워 is just a conjugated form of 스럽다 verb.
스럽 + 어 -> 스러우 + 어 -> 스러워

_스럽게 / _스레 are adverbs.

holdfast wrote: ~i know that 자마자 means "as soon as..." but i also see things like 12시 되자 which is translated as "after 12" - is that 자 the same as 자마자? is it the same meaning, or is it more like saying 12시 되는 후에?

Actually, "12시가 되자" doesn't mean "after 12" literally.

12시가 되자
-> 12시가 되었다. 그러자...
-> It became 12. And then...
(I'm not sure if I could use 'become' for the time though...)

12시가 된 후에
after becoming 12 o'clock

I think the one above is a conjunctive form while the below is an adverbial clause.
Hope I did well...

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » March 18th, 2009 5:06 am

고맙습니다~~

about the 줄 알다 thing you explained - in the example you gave: 나는 네가 안 올 줄 알았어 - would it be safe to also translate that as "i though you weren't coming"?
and now that i have thought about it i can see the difference in the two usages, but some times the sentence will be the same if you are using the future tense, so how can you tell the difference - just from the context? for example: 김치 먹을 줄 알아요 probably means "i know how to eat kimchi" because there is no subject or anything, but if someone said that about someone else it could mean "he/she knows you can eat kimchi" (then you should use a subject, i know, but i was trying to give an example).. but if it was 김치 먹을 줄 알았어요 then we can assume that it means "i thought you knew how to eat kimchi" (but you really don't know how to eat it)? maybe i am still misunderstanding...

also - is 스레 just a shortened version of 스럽게 or are they different? (but i understand how they are different from 수러워 now - i wasn't thinking when i asked the question haha!)

and also i was curious if using 다 somewhere in the sentence usually implies reported speech? because every example i have seen so far shows some kind of reported speech - in the 온다는 것을 example you just gave me, ~다고, ~다니까 etc..

(:
안녕하세요~ 에밀리입니다~~ ^^

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”