Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

EDIT: i'm just going to keep adding questions here.. ^^

holdfast
Expert on Something

EDIT: i'm just going to keep adding questions here.. ^^

Postby holdfast » September 28th, 2008 3:39 am

i've come across a few things i can't find proper explanations for... can anyone help?

- 되게 : this is translated as very, exceedingly, extraordinarily, etc, but i've seen it used with other adjectives/adverbs, and it seems like it intensifies other adjectives/adverbs. is that right? what would be the proper usage of this, and how is it different from other "very" words (정말, 너무, etc)?

- ~ㄴ/은가요 : i've been seeing this sentence ending quite often and i can't find anything about it. example: 너무 먹는 거 아닌가요 or 싫은가요

and this might be ridiculous, but i was trying to translate a cyworld entry for someone, but i'm stumped by the following line: 안갈것만같았던 시간들 - i guess i'm just trying to figure out what the 안갈 part means - it might mean something like "the times i didn't go" or something like that, but i thought there might be another explanation..

oh! and what would you say is the best english way to describe 눈빛? i know what it is, but i don't know how to translate it without it sounding strange: eye expression, glare... that doesn't quite cover it.

any help is amazing! thanks......
Last edited by holdfast on November 5th, 2008 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
안녕하세요~ 에밀리입니다~~ ^^
korean blog: http://holdfasthope.wordpress.com
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sendmetokorea

matthew254
Expert on Something

Re: a few questions.

Postby matthew254 » September 28th, 2008 4:22 am

holdfast wrote:oh! and what would you say is the best english way to describe 눈빛? i know what it is, but i don't know how to translate it without it sounding strange: eye expression, glare... that doesn't quite cover it.

I was just going over this today. In my opinion, there isn't a direct translation. I use "the look in someone's eye" or "...something about his/her eyes..."

For me, it's just one of those uniquely Korean things that has kind of a translation in terms of words, but not in meaning.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » September 28th, 2008 4:43 am

hmm.. how about gaze? or at least, in some usages.. i think you're right, i don't think there's a direct translation. i understand it though, just not in english. haha!

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » September 28th, 2008 8:09 am

holdfast wrote:- ~ㄴ/은가요 : i've been seeing this sentence ending quite often and i can't find anything about it. example: 너무 먹는 거 아닌가요 or 싫은가요

It's just a polite way to form a question.

and this might be ridiculous, but i was trying to translate a cyworld entry for someone, but i'm stumped by the following line: 안갈것만같았던 시간들 - i guess i'm just trying to figure out what the 안갈 part means - it might mean something like "the times i didn't go" or something like that, but i thought there might be another explanation..

"The times it seemed like I wouldn't go" ?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » September 28th, 2008 3:09 pm

holdfast wrote: - 되게 : this is translated as very, exceedingly, extraordinarily, etc, but i've seen it used with other adjectives/adverbs, and it seems like it intensifies other adjectives/adverbs. is that right? what would be the proper usage of this, and how is it different from other "very" words (정말, 너무, etc)?

It has same meaning with 정말, 너무 but is totally colloquial word.
No one use this in their writtings because it gives us a feeling kind of less-educated.
But we use this word a lot in daily conversations.

holdfast wrote: - ~ㄴ/은가요 : i've been seeing this sentence ending quite often and i can't find anything about it. example: 너무 먹는 거 아닌가요 or 싫은가요

As javiskefka wrote,
It's a kind of ending so that we can make a sentence into a question.
A little bit antique nuance (very little!)
It can be also used in a casual form.

너무 먹는 거 아닌가?
싫은가?

holdfast wrote: and this might be ridiculous, but i was trying to translate a cyworld entry for someone, but i'm stumped by the following line: 안갈것만같았던 시간들 - i guess i'm just trying to figure out what the 안갈 part means - it might mean something like "the times i didn't go" or something like that, but i thought there might be another explanation..

First of all, you'd better understand this expression.

시간이 가다.
Time passes.

시간이 안 가다.
Time doesn't pass. (Time passes so slowly)

So,
안 갈 것만 같았던 시간들 would be

"The times that seemed not pass at all"

holdfast wrote: oh! and what would you say is the best english way to describe 눈빛? i know what it is, but i don't know how to translate it without it sounding strange: eye expression, glare... that doesn't quite cover it.

I've tried to explain this to someone before, but failed. :cry:
Any good idea?

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » September 29th, 2008 12:13 am

감사합니다 감사합니다 감사합니다~~~~~~~~^^

근데 질문이 한번또 있는데요~

"안 갈 것만 같았던 시간들" what is the function of 만 in this sentence? i understand that 만 means only, but why would he put it in this sentence? the 것 같았던 already makes this an indirect statement, but it's 것만 같다 here. so, without the 만 the sentence would read "the times that seemed not to pass by" so does that make the sentence "only the times that seemed not to pass by" or something? am i overthinking this? haha....

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » September 30th, 2008 3:13 am

holdfast wrote:"안 갈 것만 같았던 시간들" what is the function of 만 in this sentence? i understand that 만 means only, but why would he put it in this sentence? the 것 같았던 already makes this an indirect statement, but it's 것만 같다 here. so, without the 만 the sentence would read "the times that seemed not to pass by" so does that make the sentence "only the times that seemed not to pass by" or something? am i overthinking this? haha....

Very good question, Emily. :)

As you said, 만 means 'only' and it's sometimes used for emphasizing.
It makes sense just as 안 갈 것 같던 시간들 but,
if you emphasis the word 것 by attaching 만 then you could mean
"I thought there was no chance to let the times pass."

You know 것 means 'thing' literally, and also 'chance' too. :wink:

And as you mentioned above,
To make the meaning of "only the times that seemed not to pass by"
You should say "안 갈 것 같던 시간들만"

Hope this helps.

:D

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » October 4th, 2008 4:41 pm

다시 한번 감사합니다~~~

i have a few more questions, i figured i'd just add them here instead of starting a new thread. here goes:

can anyone explain the following sentence endings to me?
-소서
-라 (does this come from 라고 해다?)
-니 (isn't this just an informal question?)
-을/ㄹ 까 봐

also what is the meaning of 듯? i see it used a lot in sentences, almost like 거 is used. not sure what it's meaning or usage is, however.

also, i've seen 가 used in places that i can't explain why it's used there. for example 알고 싶지가 않은데 - i can't figure out why it's there.

thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » October 6th, 2008 12:33 am

holdfast wrote:다시 한번 감사합니다~~~

i have a few more questions, i figured i'd just add them here instead of starting a new thread. here goes:

can anyone explain the following sentence endings to me?
-소서
-을/ㄹ 까 봐

also what is the meaning of 듯? i see it used a lot in sentences, almost like 거 is used. not sure what it's meaning or usage is, however.

also, i've seen 가 used in places that i can't explain why it's used there. for example 알고 싶지가 않은데 - i can't figure out why it's there.

thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!
-소사 is for begging someone superior to you (The king, God) to do something.

-라 is actually -아/어라, and makes the sentence into a command

-니 is short for -니까, but you can't end a sentence with it.

-ㄹ까 보다 means to determine whether the verb in question will be done or not.

-듯 unlike 것, this functions like an adverb, and it means 'as if ...' or 'with the appearance of' the verb in question

I'm not sure about the strange '가's but it could just be for emphasis on that word.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » October 6th, 2008 1:33 am

thanks again, it helps a lot!

but i've definitely seen 니 as an informal sentence ending. are you sure there isn't another usage for it?

and i've seen the ㄹ까 봐 ending translated into "afraid that something would happen" or something like that. and i've heard it used in situations that don't seem to make sense in that way, or in the way you've described. perhaps it is one of those things that you don't really know how to use until you hear it a lot? well, all sentence endings are like that, really, if you want to sound natural..

and i've seen the "strange" 가 usage again even since i posted the question - surely someone can explain it? (:

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » October 6th, 2008 2:01 am

Oh, I thought you meant besides the question ending. Yes, -니 is a casual question ending.

As for -ㄹ까 봐, the -ㄹ까 part means 'whether', and it can be combined with other verbs, like 걱정하다, 고민하다 for the sense of 'afraid that something would happen'.

Can you give examples of the other thing?

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » October 6th, 2008 2:19 am

oh! 니 is that easy? you would think i would have learned that by now.. hhahahaha..

i'll try to find some examples of ㄹ까 봐 where i don't understand why it's being used there. i can't think of any right now.. i guess i'm just not understanding the context.

thanks again!!!!!!!!!! (:

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » October 6th, 2008 2:23 am

Heh, you're welcome. ;)

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » October 6th, 2008 8:36 am

holdfast wrote: -소서
-을/ㄹ 까 봐

It seems that you are watching a historic drama, Emily. :lol:

Yes. _소서 is an honorific form of 하오 imperative.
It's an old form of 하십시오

해 < 하오 < 하시오 < 하십시오

I guess you are meaning a quotation ending 라, aren't you?
If so, you were right, Emily.
It was from _라고 하다

나 때문에 그런 것이라..
(나 때문에 그런 것이라는 거냐?)
You are saying you did so for me, huh?

그 때가 그의 나이 5세라.
(그 때가 그의 나이 5세라고 전해진다.)
They said it was at his age of 5.

니 is also used for similar cases.
Actually it is a conjunction but you can hear many cases end just as this form.

내 너를 위해 준비했나니. (바로 이것이다)
I prepared something for you. (This is that)

저 나쁜 놈을 믿고 내가 일을 맡겼으니. (내 잘못이다)
I trusted that bastard and let him do my job. (It was my fault)

_ㄹ/을까 보다 means "I think it's better to _" or "It seems better to_"

잠이나 잘까 봐.
I think I'd better sleep.

대학 가지 말고 취직 할까 봐.
I think it's better to get a job instead of going to college.

When this is used for a conjunction, it has the meaning that javiskefka said.
_ㄹ/을까 봐 ... 하다.

비가 올까 봐 나가지 않았다.
I didn't go out because I was afraid it would rain.

holdfast wrote: also, i've seen 가 used in places that i can't explain why it's used there. for example 알고 싶지가 않은데 - i can't figure out why it's there.

For just emphasizing it.

:wink:

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » October 6th, 2008 11:36 am

i haven't been watching any historical dramas, just going to church (:

i see 소서 quite often, but i also see 옵소서 and i'm not sure what that means.. i'm sure it is similar?

i sure ask a lot of questions.. i hope other people ask questions too so i can help (:
thank you so much, again!!!!!!!!!!! ^^

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”