Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Pronunciation of 요

orbiter
Expert on Something

Pronunciation of 요

Postby orbiter » September 3rd, 2008 9:08 am

I noticed that there are different pronunciations of the '요' at the end of sentences as in "안녕하세". Most often it doesn't sound too "rounded", slightly more like a 여 than a 요.

For instance, when I hear "갈거죠", it doesn't sound so much like "갈거지-오", but more like "갈거져", if you know what I mean.

Yet sometimes I hear it being very intentionally pronounced with the "oh" sound, almost bordering the "유" sound.

If I haven't lost you yet, here's an example: 김현정의 '살짝쿵' . http://www.imeem.com/geek-girl/music/A3 ... hyun_jung/
The first two sentences almost sound like "말 좀 해봐 모르시나" ...

...why? is this an accent of some sort? I remember ever hearing some accents which sound like this...?

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Re: Pronunciation of 요

Postby hyunwoo » September 3rd, 2008 9:42 am

orbiter wrote:I noticed that there are different pronunciations of the '요' at the end of sentences as in "안녕하세". Most often it doesn't sound too "rounded", slightly more like a 여 than a 요.

For instance, when I hear "갈거죠", it doesn't sound so much like "갈거지-오", but more like "갈거져", if you know what I mean.

Yet sometimes I hear it being very intentionally pronounced with the "oh" sound, almost bordering the "유" sound.

If I haven't lost you yet, here's an example: 김현정의 '살짝쿵' . http://www.imeem.com/geek-girl/music/A3 ... hyun_jung/
The first two sentences almost sound like "말 좀 해봐 모르시나" ...

...why? is this an accent of some sort? I remember ever hearing some accents which sound like this...?

First of all, the pronunciation in the song sounded like 유 but it's still 요 :) and I think it's because the melody goes up at that part ^^ ㅎㅎ I guess she moved her lips up as well while she was singing to a higher pitch .

And you're right about 요 and 죠 often becoming 여 and 져 and that's because it's less effort if you say '여' or '져' instead of 요 or 죠 because you don't have to make a complete circle with your lips :)

It's wrong, but it's a very common phenomenon in contemporary Korean :) ^^ But if you WRITE that, it's a different matter. If you write that down rather than only saying it, you sound very cute :D so a lot of young girls go using -여 instead of -요.

For example,

안녕하세요 is often written 안냐세여 by teenage girls on computer or in the sms messages :)

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
manyakumi
Expert on Something

Re: Pronunciation of 요

Postby manyakumi » September 3rd, 2008 9:50 am

hyunwoo wrote:안녕하세요 is often written 안냐세여 by teenage girls on computer or in the sms messages

And it started from a mistyping since ㅕ key is located right next ㅛ key.
That's the reason of that __여 style is called as 통신체.

:wink:

orbiter
Expert on Something

Postby orbiter » September 4th, 2008 1:21 am

안냐세여? haha that's quite how it sounds huh... :)

On this "cute" note, I notice alot like to write "용" instead of "요". Do people actually say it that way?

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » September 4th, 2008 1:48 am

I've heard young girls say that: 용~ it's really cute! haha

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » September 4th, 2008 5:02 am

ㅎㅎ, they really find a lot of ways to be cute :lol:

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”