Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Hangul 한글!

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » June 28th, 2009 4:24 am

untmdsprt wrote: On the Mac (Leopard 10.5.x) it's called 2-Set Korean, and is the same layout as these.

It might be little difficult for you unless you are having a keyboards printed Korean on it.
There are two of "Romaja" input methods that will make you able to type just as its sound.
Choose one better.

:wink:

untmdsprt
Been Around a Bit

Postby untmdsprt » June 28th, 2009 5:08 am

Thank you, but I've printed out the keyboard graphic that Hyunwoo had put up. I don't see the point of learning the romaji input method to something as simple as learning where the characters are in the first place. I haven't learned how to input Korean yet, so why would it be difficult to learn the same way as native Koreans?

FYI, I'm currently learning Japanese, and have learned to read over 300 characters. I don't think learning Korean will be difficult since there are only around 30. :D

Get 40% OFF
DoodleHappy
New in Town

Postby DoodleHappy » July 4th, 2009 11:48 am

What comes up is this small grey bar with 3 icons on it.
-has a button/icon that let's you switch from english alphabet to hangul
-A button that says hanja conversion when you hover your mouse on it
-the last button says IME Pad when you hover over it

and there is no (EN) that I can click to switch to (KO)
Last edited by DoodleHappy on July 4th, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevenwilson
Been Around a Bit

Postby stevenwilson » July 4th, 2009 10:38 pm

try hitting the bottom right alt key on your keyboard, when you have it set to korean. also, if you could provide a screen shot, I could tell you exactly what buttons need to be clicked to type korean.

DoodleHappy
New in Town

Postby DoodleHappy » July 5th, 2009 6:10 pm

Here's the screen shot I took: [here]

I also wrote some questions on it >_>;;
Hope this helps.[/url]

stevenwilson
Been Around a Bit

Postby stevenwilson » July 7th, 2009 5:35 am

I have no idea. it looks like you have the same settings I do. 저는 쓰다 할줄...
I can click the button I circled to turn korean typing on and off.

http://i27.tinypic.com/2s83e3k.jpg

I'm not sure what is wrong with your setup. You said you thought you could type in notepad, but then found out you cant. Is it possible for you to type in some programs but not others?
can you copy and paste korean text?
Last edited by stevenwilson on July 8th, 2009 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoodleHappy
New in Town

Postby DoodleHappy » July 8th, 2009 12:25 am

I figured it how now ! :D
I just have to press Shift+Left Alt to switch :9 I can copy and paste too :9
thanks for the help :9

example: 안녕하새요

dmclean6354604
Been Around a Bit

Typing Korean

Postby dmclean6354604 » October 19th, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi guys,

In case anyone needs it, I did a write up on my blog a few weeks back about setting up Korean typing on Linux as well. This also includes information on using the 2bul keyboard layout, which is the most standard one in use. It's a bit of a learning curve for Korean students, but well worth the effort as you break the dependency on Romanization.

I also use 2bul on my Mac as well with good results. It also happens to be the keyboard layout for my iPhone, but there you can see it without having to think about it.

amberleaabbott1773
New in Town

Re: Hangul 한글!

Postby amberleaabbott1773 » February 28th, 2013 8:47 pm

Hi I was wondering what the differences between 에 and 에서 are? And can you give me examples of when to use them?

kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby kc101com » March 5th, 2013 10:02 pm

Hello Amber,

Thank you for your question and that is a good question as both are well-used in

-에 basically used to mean 'at' as in on the spot.

For example, that jewelry is sold at xx department store -> xx 백화점에 그 주얼리 팔아.

Yet it is still well replaced as 백화점에서 as well for colloquial Korean.

However, -에서 originally calls as 'from'.

So if it says 'let's start running from the park' -> 공원에서 달리기를 시작합니다.

It is quite hard to define in certain way as again both are quite well-used, more likely -에서.

But it is always good to know what the original meaning is for the academic purpose!;)

Please let us know if you still are unsure :)

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com

KarianyRojas8078
New in Town

Name and Hangul 한글!

Postby KarianyRojas8078 » April 3rd, 2013 9:27 pm

안녕하세요 Everyone!
My name is Kariany and I´m just starting to learn Korean! I'm really excited! :D

Until know I've been learning Hangul by an app on my iPod, it has helped me a lot to know the pronunciation of every syllable. But I've this question: How can I identify (on the two meaning letters [ㄱ, ㄷ, ㄹ, ㅂ]) which one is meant to be? How can I know if it's k or g; l or r, d or t, b or p, in the words?

I've tried to write my name on Hangul, but don't know if should use ㅋor ㄱ... (romanization would be like ka-ri-a-ni)

Thank you so much for your help.
:D

kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby kc101com » April 4th, 2013 6:18 pm

Hello Kariany,

Welcome to Koreanclass101.com! :D :D

Hope you are enjoying with us on Korean? :D

That is a really good question and here is what is good for you since you are starting right now.

It is absolutely the best to go by what Korean has as in sound rather than following what English has.

As you are well aware of, Korean and English are quite different and what it sounds is obviously different.

It is better if you go along with how ㄱ sounds like in Korean as in G or ㄷ as in D.

However, again we recommend you to go by what Korean has - it always helps better when you get to be on next step as if you are accustomed to memorize by what English has, later on you get to be confused..!:(

We do not want you to go through that confusion and hard time! So definitely better to also listen to what it says in Korean.

We would recommend you to take 'hana hana hangul' series as it also tells you how it sounds like!;)

Hope it gives you a bit of insight :)

Please feel free to ask us anytime!

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com

KarianyRojas8078
New in Town

Postby KarianyRojas8078 » April 4th, 2013 7:09 pm

Thank you so much Madison!

I will start the Hana Hana Hangul series. :D

sashagill889957
New in Town

Postby sashagill889957 » July 7th, 2013 2:52 am

kc101com wrote:Hello Kariany,

Welcome to Koreanclass101.com! :D :D

Hope you are enjoying with us on Korean? :D

That is a really good question and here is what is good for you since you are starting right now.

It is absolutely the best to go by what Korean has as in sound rather than following what English has.

As you are well aware of, Korean and English are quite different and what it sounds is obviously different.

It is better if you go along with how ㄱ sounds like in Korean as in G or ㄷ as in D.

However, again we recommend you to go by what Korean has - it always helps better when you get to be on next step as if you are accustomed to memorize by what English has, later on you get to be confused..!:(

We do not want you to go through that confusion and hard time! So definitely better to also listen to what it says in Korean.

We would recommend you to take 'hana hana hangul' series as it also tells you how it sounds like!;)

Hope it gives you a bit of insight :)

Please feel free to ask us anytime!

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com

I'm new too and was wondering if the Hana Hana hangul would help with my question... I was going through the pronunciations with vowels on the sight and some of the consonant sounds for instance r,l (sorry haven't downloaded the Korean board yet) sometimes sounds like it starts off with a d sound or is that just a weird selective hearing thing... I do not know. Let me know as well if this post makes no sense. Thanks!

sashattack
New in Town

Postby sashattack » July 7th, 2013 6:01 pm

Nevermind to my previous post Hana Hana Hangul is awesome!

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”