a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Just Visiting

Pamela246
New in Town

Just Visiting

Postby Pamela246 » May 17th, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi,
I am trying to learn Korean for my visit to Korea in July.
While I find some of the lessons useful I feel the topics are not what I need for a person visiting for a short time.

I would like more to do with everday transactions and directions etc.
as the newbie lessons are now more about a litle girl and her father!

I liked the last picture video lesson as it was more relevant!
I know there are plenty of phrase books around (well not that many here in UK!) but when I use a phrase to one of my online Korean friends , they say no - we don't say that!

I have also noticed you concentrate more on intimate politeness levvel - is thet suitable for everyday use to strangers?

My suggestion is a series for a tourist visiting - like how to ask directions, order food and shop in markets and basic manners so as not to cause offense etc.,

I do intend to carry on learning Korean and will no doubt find the other lesson of some use - eventually! :?

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » May 17th, 2008 7:18 pm

On the right side of the page is a drop down menu for the date. Try checking out some of the old, old lessons for more of the basics.

Join by May 6th
matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 17th, 2008 9:41 pm

i agree with javiskefka.

you know actually, i was first introduced to Keith through his work in survivalphrases.com - and i ended up using (seriously) all 60 lessons in my trip to korea. but truthfully, as good as his lessons were for that company, koreanclass101's archive for newbies/beginners are of higher quality IMHO.

as for the intimate politeness level, i would humbly suggest that you use the standard politeness level (think [-yo] -요). even at my intermediate level of speaking, i only use 반말 (intimate) with little kids, close friends :lol: . i don't even use it with my korean friends who are a bit younger than i am, sometimes. but then again, i'm sure that they would be okay with it it's just that I feel more comfortable using the standard politeness with them. it kind of depends on how close you feel towards them. there is such a thing as a polite distance, right? :)

I think you'll find that korean-speaking strangers are more willing to help you if you use the standard politeness.

BTW, where in korea will you be? i'll be there in July too!
Last edited by matthew254 on March 21st, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pucca246
Been Around a Bit

Postby pucca246 » May 18th, 2008 12:13 am

Thanks for the replies, I did write in a bit of a rush.
What I meant to say was that I had been through most of the newbie and beginner lessons and although the "role play" is a good idea perhaps one based on a tourist arriving in Korea for the first time, from arrival at airport - might be one to do in future (pref soon!)
The most useful ones I have found so far were to do with ordering food and picture vocab ones, as i only know individual words and would like to use sentences (and understand some replies!) the grammar part is a bit of a minefield for me as I always seem to get it wrong!
I really need some simple but appropriate sentences that can be applied to various things, I know the "romanised" form of words is not the best way to get used to Korean writing - but it is a big help sometimes in making things quicker to read. I can read Korean - it just takes a lot longer and hopefully when I get back from my trip I will be able to learn more thouroughly - ready for next time!

(matthew254 -We will be spending most of time in and around Seoul, with a trip down to Kyongju for a couple of days with a Korean friend I met online, in last 2 weeks of July)

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 18th, 2008 12:58 am

I know the "romanised" form of words is not the best way to get used to Korean writing - but it is a big help sometimes in making things quicker to read.

i am fully aware of my biasness towards romanization of korean, so take that into consideration when i say just how much i despise it :evil: but other than that, yeah I would grab a copy of a small travel guide (as i'm sure you already have) for the travel options (what to say when you get off the plane, etc)

(matthew254 -We will be spending most of time in and around Seoul, with a trip down to Kyongju for a couple of days with a Korean friend I met online, in last 2 weeks of July)

how nice that you could have a meetup like that - i'm green with envy :P

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » May 19th, 2008 3:08 am

As Matthew mentioned, I first started out with this company with survivalphrases.com. Those are actually my favorite lessons. All company bias and shameless plugging aside, I personally think they are highly effective and extremely useful for just your case. Please check them out when you can.

Return to “Korean Lesson Suggestions (수업 내용 제안)”