Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Help already

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Help already

Postby maxiewawa » January 3rd, 2008 9:48 am

I keep getting 이미, 아직 and 어직도 mixed up (not sure about the spelling!). All of my friends have tried to explain them, but I just don't get it... :( Please help!

aerojoeyseo
New in Town

Postby aerojoeyseo » January 4th, 2008 12:30 pm

Hi, maxiewawa.

이미 can roughly translates to 'already' in english as it bears the sense of regret for what's happened at/before the time of speaking.
For example, take 버스는 이미 떠났다 (the bus has already left). In here, 이미 serves as to express one's regret for missing the bus.

On the other hand, 아직 is used when what's been anticipated to happen is not taking place. You could say that 아직 means 'yet' or 'still' in contrast to 'already' for 이미. Suppose if anyone was to say 버스 아직 안 왔어? (isn't the bus here yet?), then you can deduce that the speaker was anticipating the bus to have arrived already.

아직도 means pretty much the same as 아직, but probably implies a stronger sense of disappointment.
Taking the same example at the bus stop, if the bus was still not there 5 minutes after one's said 버스 아직 안 왔어?, then one might let it out in annoyance saying 버스 아직도 안 왔어? (isn't the bus still not here yet???? :evil: )

Hope the illustrations helped.

Join by May 6th
maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 4th, 2008 1:30 pm

Ok, I understand what you've written, but I don't see how it ties in with "아직도 학생 입니까?" which we got in the very first KoreanClass lesson. It's something that is still kinda ongoing... or rather, a state... of being a student...

Ahh... my sanity is unravelling just thinking about it! Can you elaorate how 아직도 and 아직 are used when someone is still doing something, as in the above example? 추세요!

Thanks so much!

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » January 5th, 2008 4:08 pm

아직도 학생 입니까? implies a certain amount of surprise, like he shouldn't still be a student. That 도 adds some emphasis.

"아직도 끝나지 않았어?" You're not done yet?!

"예, 아직 끝나지 않았다" Ya, I'm still not done.

Or, "예, 아직도 끝나지 않았다" I'm still not done (but I though I would be).

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 6th, 2008 2:46 am

Aaaah... I think I get it a bit better now. 감사합니다!

Return to “Korean Lesson Suggestions (수업 내용 제안)”