Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Which lesson covers ㄴ/는데?

Silja
Been Around a Bit

Which lesson covers ㄴ/는데?

Postby Silja » February 18th, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi! I just tried to look for a basic/intermediate lesson that covers verb ending ㄴ/는데, but I couldn't find any. You can't find it in the grammar bank either.

Could you add it or tell me which lesson notes should I look at?

Silja
Been Around a Bit

Postby Silja » February 19th, 2010 9:27 am

Oops... :oops: It looks like that this grammatical structure is included to grammar bank after all. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be completed, though.

Integrated Korean (Beginning 2, pp. 11-16) gives ㄴ/은데 & 는데 following usages:
1. to give common background information to be shared between a speaker and a listener (example: 비가 오는데 우산이 없어요. --> English "translation": but, even if, etc.)
2. to contrast to clauses (example: 읏이 예쁜데, 너무 비싸요. --> English "translation": however, despite, etc.)
3. to justify a request or proposal (example: 시간이 없는데 택시를 타세요. --> English "translation": so, therefore, etc.)

And ㄴ/은데요 & 는데요
The sentence ending ㄴ/은데요 & 는데요 is extended usage of clausal connective. [...] the speaker presents background information and lets the listener figure out what to do. Thus, it may be used as an expression of politeness. [...] is also used to deal with delicate situations such as disagreement, denial, and rejection. [...] allows speaker to avoid explicitly stating their intentions.

and also in しっかり身につく中級韓国語トレーニングブック
1.는데
接続語尾는데は、ゆるい因果関係で前係を結びつけ、文脈によって以下のような様々な意味になる。
①前置き:~なんだが、~しているところに
②逆接:~けれども(=지만)、~のに(=는데도)
③理由:~だし(=니까)、なので
2.는데요
①婉曲、余韻:~ですけど
②不満:~のに
③感嘆:~ですね、~ですよ
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Korean Lesson Suggestions (수업 내용 제안)”