Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

culture class suggestions

Taliana
Established Presence

culture class suggestions

Postby Taliana » December 14th, 2007 12:59 pm

No idea what you guys have got planned for the future Culture Class lessons, but I'd love to have some Culture Classes on things like:

- Religion

- School and work: in the Western world, a lot of teens are expected in highschool to have some sort of job, even if only during summer break - is it different in Korea? I know in Japan it is (or used to be?) not allowed for students to work, is it similiar in Korea? What is the life of a highschool student like?

- Tattoos, peircings, etc.: from what I've seen, Korea seems to be pretty modern and open in terms to whats acceptable and what not. But are they really? (and if I follow through with what I'm working hard at doing, and come to teach English in Korea in a few years time, am I going to need to get rid of my dreadlocks? T___T )

- Dining etiquette

- Bowing

that's all I can think of for now XD

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » December 17th, 2007 1:50 am

Taliana, I love your suggestions!

Actually, we were thinking of having a culture class on dining etiquette, but I think a video would be proper for just that culture class! There's quite a lot of customs associated with Korean dining, and they're really interesting to learn! I don't know exactly how, or when we can do it, but I think it would be quite useful for Korean learners :) We can definitely have a video on bowing as well! I think we will have a video on just that for you very soon ;)

Religion - We can definitely go over some traditional Korean religions, Shamanism, that has greatly influenced Korean and the Korean language.

School - I think that's an excellent Idea! We think we can even incorporate that into Season 2. The day in the life of a student. Or maybe even in one our picture video vocab lessons :)

Tatooing, piercings - Korea is becoming more and more open to tatoos and piercings. We can definitely incorporate this into season 2 as well ;)

Taliana! Thanks for all of these suggestions! We were running out of ideas here... so thanks! hehe :lol:

Join by May 6th
austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » December 17th, 2007 6:58 am

Keith wrote:Taliana, I love your suggestions!

Actually, we were thinking of having a culture class on dining etiquette, but I think a video would be proper for just that culture class! There's quite a lot of customs associated with Korean dining, and they're really interesting to learn! I don't know exactly how, or when we can do it, but I think it would be quite useful for Korean learners :) We can definitely have a video on bowing as well! I think we will have a video on just that for you very soon ;)

Don't forget about the rules for drinking! Any Korean learner would benefit from that etiquette and you will REALLY impress your Korean friends if you can be respectful while eating/drinking!

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

Taliana
Established Presence

Postby Taliana » December 17th, 2007 5:23 pm

Oh yeah the drinking rules would be a great one to have a Culture class on!

I'm glad you found my suggestions helpful, I'll be sure to throw some more your way if I can come up with anything else ^__^v

the_haunted_boy
Expert on Something

Postby the_haunted_boy » February 27th, 2008 5:49 pm

Those all sound good.
It seems like whenever people learn a new language and culture there is not much of a spotlight on the youth of a certain culture.

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » March 1st, 2008 2:39 am

I have to admit that I am very "old school" when it comes to learning about world cultures. I love textiles and historical costume. Could we have a culture class about hanbok and other fashion trends from long ago, and which ones can still be seen today?

Also, is it true that all Korean homes are heated through panels on the floor? My husband is an architect, and thinks it's a genius idea. I saw a documentary on Arirang TV once that explained this home heating is actually an old invention. I would like to see a culture class about how average Korean homes are different from Western homes (not only in heating, but other things that make everyday life different there.)

Gomapseumnida!
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » March 4th, 2008 4:32 pm

I just blogged about the raidant heat that I installed in my new home! (check out the Koreanclass blog.) Of course, my installation is of the modern variety. There are probably still homes in the country in Korea that are heated with a fire in an oven under the house. If you get a chance to go to Korea and tour the palace you can see this set up. Very cool (or hot... :) )

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » March 5th, 2008 4:33 am

Modern panels or old-fashioned fire, I'm definitely interested in this type of heating.

When I was living in France, the second a child sat on the floor all the adults in the room would exclaim, "Don't sit on the floor! Ever!" At first I didn't get it, but I realised that most of the time there's cold tile on the floor there, and in the cold weather the floors are freezing even if you crank up the gas heater. It turns out that the minute you sit on a cold floor like that, you're headed straight for illness from the chill.

In the States I've most lived where there was wall-to-wall carpet...but that's a whole new health issue (dust mites and allergies). Bare, heated floors sound like my idea of utopia right now.
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » March 5th, 2008 4:10 pm

We have only tile and wood floors in our house. Of course, we have some throw rugs but not many. The good and bad of it is that you can see the dirt. With carpet, who knows... We also have the 'no shoes in the house' rule too.

Traditionally everything is done on the floor in Korea. In the winter time the honored guest will typically be given the hot spot on the floor. This gives new meaning to the term "hotseat". :)

Return to “Korean Lesson Suggestions (수업 내용 제안)”