Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

News Articles/Broadcasts and 한자 (Hanja)

olive1117
New in Town

News Articles/Broadcasts and 한자 (Hanja)

Postby olive1117 » May 7th, 2009 6:24 pm

What about a series of lessons on news articles and common vocabulary found in them?
Even though my Korean has improved over the past year, I still find a constant and great amount of difficulty reading a Korean newspaper. Partly due to all the abbreviated (줄임말?) words and also due to the use of Hanja, which I don't know well at all.

I got this idea from reading a previous suggestion for Intermediate lessons:

(1) Current events. Anything that is current news - Korea or worldwide - could be discussed at a suitable level introducing new vocabulary, expressions, grammar structures. For example, the recent election, the oil spill at Taean, Ssangyong's new 100 million won sedan, the death of Choi Yo Sam (from today's Joongang Daily).

In addition, I think it'd be useful to have either lessons or an entire section devoted to Hanja in straightforward or creative ways or just any way to learn it little by little.
Even though one can get by with "pure" 한글, it's very useful to learn Hanja & having a component here I think would only strengthen the 101 site :)

If you think about it, most Korean language classes (abroad and definitely in Korea) have Hanja lessons as an integral part of the curriculum.

In the meantime, great job to the team at K101!
It's very cool that you guys solicit our opinions and actually interact to make this program better. I see the results and will continue providing feedback as a member :)

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » May 14th, 2009 3:30 am

Thank you for the suggestion! :)

Making lessons dedicated to Hanja is definitely on our list :) And for a series of lessons dealing with the language that you would find in news articles, how long do you think it would be appropriate to make the lessons? :) How many vocab words do you think you would feel 'appropriate' to learn in one lesson? :) Would you prefer hearing as much (easier) Korean as possible in those lessons? or English? :)

Hyunwoo

Get 40% OFF
beaver
New in Town

Postby beaver » May 14th, 2009 1:10 pm

Easier Korean :-) . . . . definitely not English

Return to “Korean Lesson Suggestions (수업 내용 제안)”