Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

"Man on the street" type interview lessons

kimchiandsoju
Established Presence

"Man on the street" type interview lessons

Postby kimchiandsoju » April 22nd, 2009 8:44 pm

OK so I've been thinking about something that somebody said in another post. He was lamenting the fact that you can take a lesson on say, getting directions, but then you get out in the "real world" and its never like what you learned in the lesson. Of course this makes sense because are 100s of ways to answer any one question. How can any one lesson account for that?

But that got me thinking... what if you actually went out on the street and asked a question and recorded the answers (with permission, of course), from a variety of different people who speak differently (kids, ajumas, ajushis, soldiers, students, old people, etc). Then you transcribe the answers and go over some of them in a lesson, with audio. Then you could hear all the different ways somebody might answer a question.

For example, if I were to walk up to an old man and say "Where is the nearest subway entrance?" he would answer very differently than a young Agashi. Or "which bus will take me to KangNam?" or "Do you know what the weather will be like tomorrow?" or "When is the best time to go hiking?" or whatever.

But the questions would have to be focused, so that the answers can't be tooooo varied. For example "describe your favorite childhood memory" then answer could be about anything. The way I'm thinking about, the question would have to be such that the answers would be similar, but said in different ways. So a question like "What are some of the things you can see and do in MyongDong" the responses would be pretty similar. Or "what activities can you do on the beach?"

Anyways... it was just a thought. It might be easy to do, but then again, maybe not.

And that is my suggestion.

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » April 22nd, 2009 11:59 pm

Thanks for the awesome and detailed suggestion. Getting the permission would be the hardest part, but I think it's really worth a try! We want to develop lessons in ways that they are more and more effective, so suggestions are really really valuable to us. Please keep them coming! :)

Thank you!
- Hyunwoo
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Korean Lesson Suggestions (수업 내용 제안)”