Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Going Over Things Line-By-Line

Do you like going over the conversation line by line?

Yes
68%
No
7%
Not every single line
25%

Total votes: 28

Keith
Expert on Something

Going Over Things Line-By-Line

Postby Keith » October 31st, 2007 12:16 pm

A few of our listeners have said that line-by-line is quite helpful. But some feel that it babies the listeners too much...

What do you think! Please let us know ;)

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » October 31st, 2007 12:33 pm

I think this is an opportunity to create some further differentiation between levels.

However, I'm fine either way...anyone who doesn't want to hear the line-by-line translation of the dialog can fast-forward through it or pause it and try to guess at the meaning before it is revealed.

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

Join by May 6th
steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » October 31st, 2007 3:25 pm

I agree that this is what helps differentiate different levels of ability. In the intermediate lessons one should be able to figure out from context the meaning or at least do some digging outside of the lesson to find the answers/definitions etc.
Line by line is good for beginners but intermediates and up should have to step up.
At some point, there won't be anyone translating for you at all...

Dan_84
Been Around a Bit

Postby Dan_84 » November 2nd, 2007 12:45 am

I think there should definitely be some struggle, in the sense that intermediate learners should be able to get the meaning of certain commonly-heard lines, or other things that they should reasonably know already.

But, for lines where there's some difficult new grammar or vocabulary, I don't know if it's a good idea to allow the learners to flounder around without some guidance!

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » November 2nd, 2007 6:45 pm

Ofcourse the line-by-line wouldn't need to go over the same words/phrases from a previous lesson. But new grammar, words/phrases should be gone over but that just common sense, I think.

chachee100
New in Town

Postby chachee100 » April 4th, 2008 8:43 am

I love the line by line feature. First, it allows you to pronunciate the dialogue with the same connotation and inntonation as a native speaker. Immitating the voice of a native speaker will greatly improve your pronuncaition. Second, you can use the line by line to practice a pretend conversation. Although it is not real, you can it at least gives you the option of simulating a conversation. As a bonus you can switch roles and characters.

the_haunted_boy
Expert on Something

Postby the_haunted_boy » April 7th, 2008 1:00 am

I think it is really helpful, and if they feel like it babies them they just keep them entertained with more advanced grammar.(hint hint)

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » April 9th, 2008 11:24 pm

The line-by-line feature is very valuable to me. Sometimes the sounds in Korean words seem to run together (much like French), so having it spoken slowly and clearly makes all the difference.

Listening to the line-by-line breakdown is what wires our brains to grasp the words faster and faster later on. It's the basic programming that we need for our brains, and it's the natural way we learn a language. (Trust me, I'm an experienced foreign language learner.) Please continue to include it in the lessons...as mentioned before, those who don't feel they need it can fast forward. Would you consider making it a separate track, to spare the nerves of the highly impatient?

I would even suggest you keep it for the intermediate levels, but perhaps just focusing on a few key words or expressions in each lesson instead of going over the whole dialogue - I agree that would be tedious and unnecessary to go over every single word at that level.
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

Return to “Korean Lesson Suggestions (수업 내용 제안)”