Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Verb conjugation practice

Bouks
Expert on Something

Verb conjugation practice

Postby Bouks » April 17th, 2008 7:32 pm

It would be helpful if there were some more practice for us to get accustomed to conjugating verbs. Something like a drill where we are given many different verbs that we don't know and are asked to conjugate them. When the answers are shown, an explanation as to how it was conjugated would be great as well. Thank you!
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » April 18th, 2008 1:39 am

That sounds like an interesting idea too :) Are you thinking maybe in the form of our Review tracks? that only have vocabulary words in them?

Get 40% OFF
Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » April 18th, 2008 1:52 am

I was thinking of a flashcard format, so that you could add or remove verbs according to your level, and also maybe tenses and other inflections. But your idea of a review track would be great, because hearing the verbs is a big help. Or how about a video, so that we can both see and hear everything? I know, I'm probably causing you too much extra work...oh, those demanding students :wink:

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » April 24th, 2008 7:51 pm

I'm still thinking of what would be most helpful for us to get comfortable with verb conjugations.

How about this: whenever a new verb is introduced in a lesson, could you put a complete conjugation of it in the PDF, or at least in the grammar bank, with all the applicable tenses, moods, inflections, etc.?

I think this might be even more of a priority than flashcards. If I get stuck when conjugating something and ask you every time, you will be very tired of me in short order :roll:

If this is too much, then how about marking clearly what group a newly introduced verb belongs to, and then referring us to that particular group of verbs in the grammar bank, where you set out complete conjugations of a handful of verbs that belong to that group. That way, you don't have to conjugate *every single* verb in the entire language. But we can still easily find the right conjugation for that new verb, and get used to it.

jaesun
Been Around a Bit

Postby jaesun » April 25th, 2008 1:00 am

I also like the idea of more practice with lessons, especially with verbs.

For example with intermediate lesson #18, i liked the grammar questions that were there, but wanted more.

One of the verbs was 망치다 (mess up). Maybe there could be some additional questions in which one had to fill in the correct form of the verb

If you're not careful, you ___________ (will mess up, messed up)
I'm sorry I think I _________ (will mess up, messed up)

Thanks,
Jason

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » April 25th, 2008 3:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Bouks and Jason, and I totally agree that you could use more verb conjugation practice. Let's work on a system!! ^^

jaesun
Been Around a Bit

Postby jaesun » April 26th, 2008 12:14 pm

Bouks,

I think we've been dissed.  :lol:

Here is an exercise I made up on 시작하다 (it's in int. lesson18)

연습:
ㄱ) 언제 영화를 시작해요?
ㄴ) (mumble)
ㄱ) 뭐? 벌써 시작했어요?
ㄴ) 아니요. 6시에 시작겠어요.

(몇 시간 후)(some time/hours later)

ㄱ) 영화를 아직 시작 안 해요?
ㄴ) 내. 광고를 시작하는댸,시간 있어요.Popcorn 살까요?

I am not sure about some, and don't know if it makes sense.
(광고 = advertisements,맞아요?)

If you wanted we could continue in the Practice forum, after each lesson, and maybe get corrections.

안녕히게세요,
Jason

jaesun
Been Around a Bit

Postby jaesun » April 26th, 2008 12:17 pm

PS
미안아,

The font got weird. Hope you can read.
-J

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » April 26th, 2008 2:40 pm

Jaesun,
Nah, I'm sure we haven't been dissed! It is just going to take them some time to come up with something according to my exacting demands :lol: They are busy people around here, and I appreciate the work that they do to keep things going. 8)

I will be posting more questions in the forums though, regarding my various verb misunderstandings - I can't right now because I'm heading off to work, but I've got some questions all lined up.

jaesun
Been Around a Bit

Postby jaesun » April 26th, 2008 4:58 pm

By dissed, I meant how enthusiastically 현우 agreed that we need help. Not that I'm denying it! :lol:

The site has been very creative, fun and responsive. I'm sure we'll work out some good exercises.

Later on I may try some more sentences in the practice forum.

-J

the_haunted_boy
Expert on Something

Postby the_haunted_boy » April 26th, 2008 8:07 pm

I think that we should really look into verbs a lot more too, in general. Past tense, Negative, Future tense, etc...

sarahk
Been Around a Bit

verb conjugation

Postby sarahk » May 2nd, 2008 7:10 am

Thanks! This is the main exercise that I have been looking for...

to be introduced to base verbs...then go through the various verb conjugations...
and also to see/hear the different verb conjugations used in different sentences...
and for my situation, conjugating the verbs in the most formal politeness level.

I would be interested in hearing some of the podcasts focus on verb conjugations... with some common verbs used in conversations.

I find that my comprehension of korean language is WAY higher than my ability to actually speak in a conversation...but because I don't really get all the conjugations, especially with tenses,...I often confuse when an action occurred or will occur.

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » May 2nd, 2008 7:30 am

Bouks wrote:I'm still thinking of what would be most helpful for us to get comfortable with verb conjugations.

How about this: whenever a new verb is introduced in a lesson, could you put a complete conjugation of it in the PDF, or at least in the grammar bank, with all the applicable tenses, moods, inflections, etc.?

I think this might be even more of a priority than flashcards. If I get stuck when conjugating something and ask you every time, you will be very tired of me in short order :roll:

If this is too much, then how about marking clearly what group a newly introduced verb belongs to, and then referring us to that particular group of verbs in the grammar bank, where you set out complete conjugations of a handful of verbs that belong to that group. That way, you don't have to conjugate *every single* verb in the entire language. But we can still easily find the right conjugation for that new verb, and get used to it.

Sorry for getting back so late! Hyunwoo mentioned this to me today too :) We have a verb conjugation chart in our reference material section, and I don't think it's utilized enough! And just like you mentioned, we can have a simple number system to refer to a certain column of the chart. Easy to do, easy to find... and what do you think. Helpful?

sarahk
Been Around a Bit

verb

Postby sarahk » May 2nd, 2008 7:42 am

Hi Keith,

YES! The Verb conjugation chart is very helpful...

it would be even MORE helpful if each conjugation is accompanied by an example sentence...

also, I guess it isn't really verb conjugation...but the different "helper" phrases that are attached to verbs...like go ship uh yo... I'm not sure what you call that...but I desperately need to learn those phrases too...and different kinds of words they can attach to...

Thanks!

Sarah

(ps: what time zone are you in? are you up really late or really really early?)

Return to “Learn Korean Feature Requests (서비스 요청)”