Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Sign-reading

xflibble
Established Presence

Sign-reading

Postby xflibble » November 30th, 2007 5:43 am

Something I noticed on my first trip to Korea is that after all my Australian-based study, I hadn't really read much vertical writing. Once you actually arrive in Korea, all of the signs and the writing on the sides of buses is *vertical*. I can't remember if some of the text on bus stops was vertical as well, but I know I wished I'd had more reading practise with vertical writing :)

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » November 30th, 2007 6:41 am

Yeah... that is tricky sometimes, because it isn't always immediately obvious how it's written. Sometimes I see signs where the words alternate color, so if you read it wrong, you'd be reading a word that was half blue/half red....as with anything, practice makes ll the difference!

Sometimes movies are subtitled that way - especially if the original version already has subtitles in a particular scene. Bourne Ultimatum comes to mind. In the opening scenes in Russia, there are English subtitles for that Russian dialog. So, the Korean version is moved over the the right side, and written vertically!

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

Get 40% OFF
Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » December 3rd, 2007 2:11 am

Actually, I think we can even do that in our picture vocab series as well :) We'll get started on that! Thanks for the request!

Return to “Learn Korean Feature Requests (서비스 요청)”