Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Drop romanization

Malboro
New in Town

Drop romanization

Postby Malboro » October 25th, 2007 6:07 pm

It would be really nice if you can drop romanization, becaus it is really hard to read lesson note exsamples, if romanization is under hangul, because my eyes can see both :/

Or make too seperate file? One for romanization and hangul.

I really like to learn hangul, because romanizations have some problems...

Sorry if my english is bad.

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » November 1st, 2007 2:29 am

Malboro 씨~

We'll take that into consideration. Currently we have it for every lesson that we have. However, we are seriously considering it dropping it for the upper levels (Audio blog, Intermediate Series)

But we totally understand what you're talking about.

Get 40% OFF
Taliana
Established Presence

Postby Taliana » December 12th, 2007 8:05 pm

Sorry for replying to such an old thread, but I wanted to give my 2 cents :3

I think that having the romanisation there for the Newbie lessons is a must, and perhaps for the Beginner lessons too. But dropping it for Intermediate and above would make a lot of sense, because by that stage I would think that students should be comfortable with hangul and not need the romanisation (except perhaps in the vocab list).

bushwick
New in Town

Postby bushwick » January 21st, 2008 6:49 pm

i personally think hangeul romanization should be dropped altogether, even from the beginner lessons.
hangeul is extremely easy, and going on with romanization just slows the student down.
i think it's fine with the newbie lessons, beginner should be hangeul only.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » January 22nd, 2008 5:14 pm

I would have agreed months ago, because I thought I knew how to read all Hangul, but I have come to realize that I do get stumped every-now-and-then when changes occur in Korean speech. I would instead suggest separating the romanization from the Hangul, maybe on a seperate page for those of us who's eyes tend to wander.

tormsen
Been Around a Bit

Postby tormsen » February 5th, 2008 12:14 am

I would like to offer my agreement that the romanisation should be dropped from intermediate level, I can't see anyone who has skills up to that level requiring it and its counterproductive. I actually really dislike reading korean in romanisation, maybe on a pure aesthetic value. Korean written in hangul looks great, Korean written in Roman characters looks a little bit ugly.

sethphillips
New in Town

Postby sethphillips » March 18th, 2008 10:36 am

Perhaps you could have a feature where you click on a button that can hide the romanization if you want. I'm not sure how hard that is to develop but it might be the most user friendly option. (rather than having romanization in a separate file)

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » March 19th, 2008 12:53 pm

Romanization has been dropped for the Audio blogs, but the we're still keeping with the Intermediate lessons because there are a lot of people that aren't at that level, but continue to listen to it... we're THAT popular ;)

chachee100
New in Town

Postby chachee100 » April 12th, 2008 3:30 am

i disagree with dropping the romanization. I think it is a good way for people to practice pronunciation on the go. The romanization has help with my pronunciation many times. Even though i can read Korean, I sometimes catch myself missing pronouncing words, especially in long sentences, because i did not read them phonetically correct.

Romanized Korean is a great tool that many websites do not offer. So i think it is a great idea to keep it going, at least up to the intermediate lessons.

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 10th, 2008 4:08 am

chachee100 wrote:Romanized Korean is a great tool that many websites do not offer. So i think it is a great idea to keep it going, at least up to the intermediate lessons.

I must respectfully disagree. In my own, biased opinion, romantization is a kind of counterproductive crutch. It just flat out does not sound right most of the time. For the newbie series - its perfect. But for the intermediate series, for me it just takes up space truthfully, so its not a big deal for me, but for the longest time in other language programs (not like the fine quality material we have here - no joke intended) I relied on romantization instead of just learning hanguel.

When I was tarting out learning, if any material had romantization, my eyes would go straight to that and basically get lazy and avoid trying to sound out the hanguel.

sleungkm
New in Town

Postby sleungkm » May 26th, 2008 9:53 pm

I am absolutely a newbie. I cannot agree more to Matthew 254's opinion that romantization is a kind of counterproductive crutch. I believe in order to learn and memorize characters fast, it's better to skip the romantization. Where the romantizations are right now indeed blocked my visualization of the hanguls, particularly when I read pdfs online.

Frankly, I have been studying for a month but never read the romanization part.

xflibble
Established Presence

Postby xflibble » May 27th, 2008 6:45 am

A couple of points -

- Yes, have Hangeul instead of romanisation, although it does raise a question. Ipods can display hangeul, but can other mp3 players? If not, having both is a necessary.
- For the hangeul section, a summary for learners of the places where there are sound changes is a good idea, but this can be done using hangeul. The textbook Korean through english has a section like this for each dialogue.

Return to “Learn Korean Feature Requests (서비스 요청)”