a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Need some advice for studying/moving to Korea

jessyregister_229761
New in Town

Need some advice for studying/moving to Korea

Postby jessyregister_229761 » November 12th, 2015 4:23 am

Hello everyone!

I've been racking my brain about something and you all are so helpful that I figured you would be the best to ask. This might be slightly long so I apologize in advance.

I live in the US and I'm someone who has never wanted to stay here. I've always wanted to move and live somewhere else. I just couldn't decide where until recently. And here's where the question comes in, haha.

I have been looking into moving to South Korea after I graduate. However, I'm majoring in criminology and psychology in which I have to receive a doctorate in psychology and at least a masters in criminology. It's going to take another 6 years before I reach that. I'm impatient and don't really want to wait that long before I move. So I was looking into universities in South Korea that have those programs and I did find a few. I also tried to look into the police system for criminology but the English site is basic and I couldn't find information regarding their requirements. I am learning Korean, but am still a beginner so it's difficult for me to navigate through the sites. Now the university I currently attend does have a study abroad program which I am looking into, but I have to be at least a junior before I can apply and that won't be until next year.

Anyways, I remember in a video that I found regarding non-teaching jobs in Korea that most companies look for doctorate degrees in their fields and such, and I was wanting to ask your opinion if you think it would be better to receive a doctorate in Korea than in the U.S. since I am wanting to move there or if I should just finish my education here.
I'm sorry for it being such a long message and for bothering you with such a strange question. I hope everyone has a great day!

Thank you! :D
Jessy

community.korean
Expert on Something

Re: Need some advice for studying/moving to Korea

Postby community.korean » November 12th, 2015 11:33 pm

Hi Jessy,

Thank you for your post!
Living in a foreign country (no matter which country) takes time to adjust and it may be easier if you did not have to juggle your academic and language studies simultaneously while looking for a job and getting used to the culture and the people.
Having said that, taking advantage of the overseas studies program that your university provides seems like a great option---you could study Korean in the meanwhile and research the institutions and schools that you are interested in, so that you could visit them first hand to see what options would be available for you. Once you have, you could make your final decision then, perhaps?
Having said that, if you have any questions on your Korean studies, please let us know.

Best,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Get 40% OFF
jessyregister_229761
New in Town

Postby jessyregister_229761 » November 14th, 2015 3:01 am

Thank you Lyn for the feedback!
That actually sounds like the best way for me to go. I'm going to definitely work on doing the study abroad program and while there I can visit the universities and even speak with someone on what would be the best. I need to work on my Korean studies even more so.

Thank you again!

community.korean
Expert on Something

Postby community.korean » November 15th, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi Jessy,

Thanks for posting. Glad to be of help. :D
If you have any questions while studying Korean or with our lessons, please let us know.

Happy learning,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Working & Studying in Korea (한국에서 일하거나 공부하기)”