a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Visa regulations: work permit for D-4 student visa holders

gillesvdp
Established Presence

Visa regulations: work permit for D-4 student visa holders

Postby gillesvdp » May 21st, 2009 7:10 am

Hello!

Sorry this is going to be a bit technical and I hope someone here will have the answer.

In Korea, there are 2 types of student visas: D-2 and D-4.
D-2 is for students in general
D-4 is for students who specifically learn Korean at a university attached institute.

Now, I do plan to spend a bit of time in Korea so at some point in time I will need money, and thus I will need to work. (makes sense right? :D)

Last year, when I was a D-2 visa holder in Korea, I was allowed to get a special work-permit (S-3 to be precise) after 1 semester to do an internship.

This year, I am probably going to be a D-4 visa holder. I think it used to be that D-4 visa holders were forbidden to work in the past. But right now, it seems that the law has changed and that D-4 visa holders have the authorization to work without having to apply for an S-3 work permit after 1 semester or 6 months.

So, has anyone been a D-4 visa holder before in here? Any input on this matter would be very helpful.

PS: If you know a internet website for foreign students in Korea, please let me know. I guess I could get the answer to my question immediately there.
Last edited by gillesvdp on November 7th, 2010 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » May 24th, 2009 4:25 am

I can verify that this is true and I know people that have done it, but I have not done it personally. The 6 month limit is strictly enforced, though.

Get 40% OFF
Chris1
Established Presence

Re: Visa regulations: work permit for D-4 student visa holde

Postby Chris1 » May 24th, 2009 4:27 am

gillesvdp wrote:PS: If you know a internet website for foreign students in Korea, please let me know. I guess I could get the answer to my question immediately there.

When pigs fly.

gillesvdp
Established Presence

Postby gillesvdp » May 24th, 2009 5:44 am

Thanks!

The thing is, every time I surf on the g4f website, I seem to find different regulations.

The webpage I linked to says that D-4 do not need the S-3 permit.
But I have seen on other pages that D-4 holders are prevented from doing anything else but studying...

This is very confusing..

Looking forward to your answer!! 8)

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » May 24th, 2009 8:56 am

gillesvdp wrote:Thanks!

The thing is, every time I surf on the g4f website, I seem to find different regulations.

The webpage I linked to says that D-4 do not need the S-3 permit.
But I have seen on other pages that D-4 holders are prevented from doing anything else but studying...

This is very confusing..

Looking forward to your answer!! 8)

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I can assure you from experience it is the truth. If you call every immigration office within the country and every consulate outside the country, you will get all different answers. The regulations on the website mean absolutly nothing and anything you hear from any consulate/office means absolutly nothing.

The only regulations that matter are the ones that the person dealing with your case (mis)knows. Nothing is certain until you get the decision of your request. The best you can do about figuring this out is calling the exact immigration office that you will be dealing with and asking them directly. However, the exact person dealing with your case has complete discretion over what they do. It may/may not have anything to do with the current laws.

That website is rarely updated and is sketchy at best. The Korean version is going to have more "current" information in any case. It can be used as a guildline, but for things like this, it really will not be of any help.

Based on other's experiences (I have not done this myself), D-4 holders do need an S-3 permit to work and can receive one after 6 months. It does not matter if you had a D-4 before, only the current visa matters +6 months. As I said, don't take this as any type of rule/law. What the law is and what is done is very very different in Korea.

Welcome to the Korean immigration system :).

gillesvdp
Established Presence

Postby gillesvdp » May 24th, 2009 11:28 am

Yes what you say is similar to what I expected.

However, the exact person dealing with your case has complete discretion over what they do.

I experienced this when I was a D-2 visa holder to get my S-3 permit.
The law said I had to complete "a semester or 6 months of study".
After having completed one semester (but not 6 months), I went to the immigration office and the office denied my permit because 6 months had not passed yet.

Then I called my office and told them that the officer had denied my work permit.. But they told me: "no no, you can do it, you have studied 1 semester! Try again!". So I went back, had a different officer handling my case, and that other officer granted me the permit without any problem. :roll:

And the reason why I use the website is because the officers there used it several times to justify their decisions. So I think that if I just go there with selected printed pages of the website, it might work.. but I still have to test whether it works or not. :?

But anyway, thanks for the information. According to your friends, it's D-4 + 6 months = possibility to get S-3.
I guess I will try my luck at the Seoul immigration office later this year. :)
Thanks!!

PS: if anyone has ideas or stories about this, please share!

gillesvdp
Established Presence

Postby gillesvdp » May 24th, 2009 11:30 am

Ho and by the way if anyone is interested in this,, the +6 months rule applies to the date of issuance of the foreign resident's registration card, not the initial date of entry.

So don't waste time and go to the immigration office quickly. ;-)

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » May 24th, 2009 4:22 pm

gillesvdp wrote:And the reason why I use the website is because the officers there used it several times to justify their decisions. So I think that if I just go there with selected printed pages of the website, it might work.. but I still have to test whether it works or not. :?

If that's what they do, by all means, find the page that favors your case most and show it to them! Best of luck.

gillesvdp
Established Presence

Postby gillesvdp » May 29th, 2009 3:43 pm

[POST EDITED]
Last edited by gillesvdp on June 20th, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » May 29th, 2009 10:24 pm

gillesvdp wrote:Ho and by the way if anyone is interested in this,, the +6 months rule applies to the date of issuance of the foreign resident's registration card, not the initial date of entry.

So don't waste time and go to the immigration office quickly. ;-)

That's also a reason to not delay in getting your ARC. Good luck! ^_^

nathanksimpson
New in Town

Work Visa

Postby nathanksimpson » November 11th, 2009 7:49 pm

After having called immigration, the person I spoke to said their website is wrong and in fact you are allowed, like other visas, to obtain a work permit after 6 months of study.

hurleygiles2017_233631
New in Town

Re: Visa regulations: work permit for D-4 student visa holders

Postby hurleygiles2017_233631 » March 14th, 2018 9:59 am

Even I want to study and work in abroad. I think Australia has quite good policies for students who can work part time and finance their own education. I will have to pass IELTS in order to apply for the visa so just thinking to join the marvel education zirakpur institute for expert IELTS training.

community.korean02
New in Town

Re: Visa regulations: work permit for D-4 student visa holders

Postby community.korean02 » May 7th, 2018 9:22 am

Hi,
Thank you for sharing the info.
I hope all the registration and paperwork goes well for those who are applying for the work permit in Korea!

Best,
Rebecca
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Working & Studying in Korea (한국에서 일하거나 공부하기)”