Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Would i stick out like a sore thumb?

memoryrose837195
New in Town

Would i stick out like a sore thumb?

Postby memoryrose837195 » April 4th, 2012 7:18 am

:?: Ah okay so I dont want to seem ignorant but in fact i am about this. So clearly korea likes america like entertainment music and stars. right? okay so i'm planning a trip soon to visit after college and well i've gotten questions about my backround a "What are you"<- pretty rude btw clearly i'm human :lol:
Anyways i'm african american but my skin is pretty fair and well i've been asked if i was Chinese, indian, or Hispanic. You can see my problem here i'd like to know if i'd get asked those questions or feel uncomfortable while visiting.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » April 4th, 2012 8:47 am

HI memoryrose!

I suppose people are curious everywhere, and Koreans have a great deal of curiosity about new people they meet. You could even call them nosy. I'm sure someone in Korea will ask you where you are from, and probably even inquirer about your race. I wouldn't be offended by it, it's nothing personal. Koreans will often ask very personal questions of persons they have just met, how old are you? do you have any brothers or sisters? what do your parents do for a living? what university did you graduate? what kind of job do you have? how much money do you make? etc. It's a cultural thing.

IN my case two of my children are adopted, and when I introduce them to Koreans as my "son" and "daughter" most Koreans look back and forth from face to face with a puzzled look, and many will say something like "They don't look like you?"

Here in the US most people who see mixed families usually just think to themselves 'Well perhaps they are adopted.'

Having said that, I am sure Koreans will love you and I bet you will have a fantastic experience in Korea.

Get 40% OFF
kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Re: Would i stick out like a sore thumb?

Postby kc101com » April 9th, 2012 8:08 am

memoryrose837195 wrote::?: Ah okay so I dont want to seem ignorant but in fact i am about this. So clearly korea likes america like entertainment music and stars. right? okay so i'm planning a trip soon to visit after college and well i've gotten questions about my backround a "What are you"<- pretty rude btw clearly i'm human :lol:
Anyways i'm african american but my skin is pretty fair and well i've been asked if i was Chinese, indian, or Hispanic. You can see my problem here i'd like to know if i'd get asked those questions or feel uncomfortable while visiting.

Hi memoryrose837195,

I get where it is coming from and Korea has one race, Korean! haha so even though they are getting changed by the global trend, we are not so accustomed to multi race yet.

There are some stars actually who would change people's insight abit such as T, very good rapper and singer, half african and korean.

Also there's girl from audition program called Lee Michelle, she's also half african and Korean.

So it's slowly getting changed and please don't get offended when you travel and people ask you what you are because Koreans have good heart and they really don't mean to offend you but for pure curiosity as trutherous had mentioned.

So you could say awe i'm African American and I'm from USA(they prefer usa instead of states, some might not get it if you say so).

No worries and I'm sure you would be fine!

Good luck,

Madison/Koreanclass101.com

Return to “Visiting Korea (한국 방문하기)”