Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korea: Love of Motorcycles

trutherous
Expert on Something

Korea: Love of Motorcycles

Postby trutherous » April 2nd, 2010 8:07 pm

Coming from a Harley rider background here in the US, I find foreign motorcycle culture a fascinating subject, and Korea's love for two-wheel transportation especially commendable. Ok here's a pictorial essay on two-wheel transportation in Korea. All photos taken during my 09 trip.

I saw a lot of these custom made delivery bicycles when I visited Korea in 1984, but very few during the 2009 trip. While this bicycle was still being used in a street market, it is hard to see any of these out in traffic these days. In 1984 I was shocked to see these heavy framed bikes loaded down and being peddled between moving buses on the icy winter streets of Seoul. I saw one carrying 12 cases of bottled beer stacked as high as the bus. What strong legs that bicyclist must have had.

Motorcycles and scooters are used as delivery vehicles in Korea in a big way. You can see them zooming in and out of traffic just about everywhere, and barely passing through cramped spaces between cars and trucks on the narrow streets. They carry and deliver just about anything you can imagine. I've seen one carrying a huge desk on the back.

I did manage to find a few USA built Harley Davidson Motorcycles, like this Sportster in Itaewon, but very few.

This Korean "biker chick" was kind enough to allow me to take her photo. I introduced myself and asked permission first. And no, she did not cover her face to remain anonymous, she was dressed that way for the crisp October weather. Thanks "sis" you rock!

I guess everyone likes to look 'cool' no matter what they drive; however, this next photo left me wondering if there is a time to customize and a time to just leave things alone. Nice effort anyway:

Now here was the only "long bike" (old-school chopper) I happened to see, and this was on Jeju Island if my memory is correct. Nice job, for being a "metric" motorcycle:

And last, but not least, no traffic essay would be complete without the mention of law enforcement --yep that's a real COP bike:
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Visiting Korea (한국 방문하기)”