Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

one way ticket allowed?

zwei
New in Town

one way ticket allowed?

Postby zwei » December 9th, 2009 2:00 pm

does anyone know if i am allowed to board the plane if i am going to korea on a one-way ticket? i think this question has been answered before in the forum, but i couldnt find the post. i am going to korea for a 3 month language programme and may want to continue for another 3 months. would anyone please let me know, or if anyone had brought a one-way ticket and it's ok? thank you.

Stormprincess
New in Town

Postby Stormprincess » December 9th, 2009 4:26 pm

I hope someone will give an answer, because me also, I would like to know... Anyway, what is sure, that in Japan is not allowed to enter just only with return ticket. But of course it doesnt mean, that Korea is the same... Or at least I hope so...

Get 40% OFF
padeca07
New in Town

Postby padeca07 » December 10th, 2009 3:17 pm

My Dad always seemed to think that they were, but aren't the round trip tickets cheaper anyways? I know they were for me when I went to Korea. I was going to be than for an extended period of time so I just bought the round trip ticket and never took the return flight. So far nobody has busted down my door and come looking for me (knock on wood(^^
Last edited by padeca07 on December 10th, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supertommy
New in Town

Postby supertommy » December 10th, 2009 5:14 pm

Some airlines let you reschedule your return flight against a fee. I flew Lufthansa to Venezuela recently and wanted to stay a couple of extra weeks, so I paid them 100€ and they changed it.

I don't think you'd have problems boarding the plane without a return ticket, but you may have some problems going through immigration when you get to Korea, depending on what kind of a visa you have. If you want a definite answer, you should call the Korean embassy in your country.

zwei
New in Town

Postby zwei » December 11th, 2009 2:04 am

thank you people. i asked my friend yesterday and from what i gathered, my home country is more likely the one restricting this one way travel than korea would, to curb emigration, dual citizenship, escape from mandatory conscription,etc. so i may have a problem even before boarding the plane, not so much at the korean immigration. but anyone, i would check with the korean embassy.

carolynn
New in Town

Postby carolynn » December 11th, 2009 12:25 pm

If you are travelling under a tourist visa, you will not be allowed to board the plane with a one way ticket. And if you are travelling under a tourist visa, you will not be able to extend the tourist visa in korea when your tourist visa expires. You will have to fly out of korea to the nearest country and fly into korea again under tourist visa. It is best that you apply a C-3 student visa (which gives you 90 days in korea) in a korean embassy in your country. You will be then be able to fly under a student visa with a one-way ticket. And should you decide to extend your study trip, you can then extend the student visa in korea. However, from what i know, should you leave korea under a student visa during your study trip (eg, visit a nearby country for vacation), you have to apply for a re-entry permit in immigration office in korea in advance. This is because the student visa is a single trip visa. Do call up the korean embassy in your country for more details to avoid flouting immigration laws.

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » December 12th, 2009 5:59 am

Hmm, I had multiple entry status when I had a c-3 visa. I had to specify that I was applying for multiple entry and pay an additional fee, though.

tkmayfie
Been Around a Bit

Postby tkmayfie » May 13th, 2010 4:43 am

Sorry to bring up an old topic.

I may be flying from San Diego to Seoul, staying 3 weeks on a tourist Visa, and flying from Seoul back home to DC. If I showed up with my ticked from Seoul to DC, would that be enough proof to get past immigration? Thanks!

julialim
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby julialim » May 13th, 2010 5:01 am

:D That won't be any problem as long as you have return ticket.

Just like other country! :wink:

You are going to stay for 3weeks!! Wow
Do you have any plan? :D :D

tkmayfie
Been Around a Bit

Postby tkmayfie » May 13th, 2010 5:03 am

thank You for the reply! I will hopefully be studying at Seoul National for 3 weeks intensive Korean Program

Return to “Visiting Korea (한국 방문하기)”