Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Cost of living? How much do I need to save for a holiday?

leke
New in Town

Cost of living? How much do I need to save for a holiday?

Postby leke » August 30th, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi, I was wondering what the cost of living was in Seoul? I'm trying to figure how much I need to save :D

That is, How much an average meal is at an average restaurant?
How much is a weeks subway travel ticket is or a taxi ride for example?
Entry to tourist attractions etc...?

Anyone been or live there?

Thanks.

austinfd
Expert on Something

Re: Cost of living? How much do I need to save for a holiday

Postby austinfd » August 31st, 2009 6:46 am

leke wrote:Hi, I was wondering what the cost of living was in Seoul? I'm trying to figure how much I need to save :D

That is, How much an average meal is at an average restaurant?
How much is a weeks subway travel ticket is or a taxi ride for example?
Entry to tourist attractions etc...?

Anyone been or live there?

Thanks.

Here's some figures from when I was living in Seoul (a year ago)

Meals come in a few different varieties, a very simple meal on your own could cost about 5-6,000원. When you eat with friends at get a communal meal, 10,000원 would be average (and include some beverage)

The subway/bus tickets aren't sold by the week. There is card that you'll buy and recharge as you need it. Most single trips are 900-1,100 원

Taxis... suddenly, i forgot. I think it starts at 1,900원 and depends on how far and how fast he drives.

Entrance to national parks/museums is dirt cheap. I never paid more than 4,000원. Private museums can cost more than 10,000 or 15,000원

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

Get 40% OFF
leke
New in Town

Postby leke » August 31st, 2009 9:55 am

Wow, that's pretty cheap. I'm wondering why it's so cheap? I thought South Korea would be expensive like Japan. My national airline also does some really reasonably priced flights too.

Can't wait to go :D

kevinmiller
New in Town

Postby kevinmiller » October 26th, 2009 1:56 pm

It's not at all expensive but you don't lose quality either since Korea is a very advanced country. I always liked using the bus system as it was usually about a dollar to get to most destinations that were less than about 20 minutes away.

Good restaurants give you a full filling meal for around 6,000 won like the previous poster said, but you can get decent food at fast food type places(like Gimbab Heaven, for example) for even cheaper.

Return to “Visiting Korea (한국 방문하기)”