Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

the 4 stick game.

holdfast
Expert on Something

the 4 stick game.

Postby holdfast » April 21st, 2008 3:34 am

recently, i played the 4 stick game, but i have already forgotten the actual name of it and how to play it.. is there anyone that could explain it or know of a website that could explain it?

it was a very fun game! similar to the game trouble, i had thought, except you throw the sticks instead of popping the dice..

has anyone else played this game?

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » April 21st, 2008 11:21 am

It must be 윷놀이. I too played this once, but I don't remember the rules.

Get 40% OFF
steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » April 22nd, 2008 10:27 pm

I remember playing this as a kid with my family. I think this game enjoyed a bit of popularity here but that has faded. We just called it "yoot".

There is a scene in "Palace" (궁) where the prince goes to visit I-can't-remember-her-name's house and they end up playing 윷놀이. There is a bit of betting going on as well as 벌짓 (sp?) (which could be a whole culture class in itself...).

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » April 23rd, 2008 12:12 am

when we played there was betting too! i thought it was a 4 syllable name - and each syllable was a different combination of the sticks that dictated how you could move. but perhaps i remember incorrectly (or there are multiple names for it, i don't know!).

well, i'll still wait for someone who may have more information - surely someone does! perhaps hyunwoo? do you know what game i am talking about?

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » April 23rd, 2008 3:07 am

The game is called 윷놀이

And Google is your friend: http://www.google.com/search?q=yutnori

I used to have a really well-made sheet of the rules, but lost it when my computer crashed.

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

Return to “Food & Entertainment (음식과 엔터테인먼트)”