Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Fire Destroys South Korea's No.1 National Treasure

Jacqueline
Been Around a Bit

Fire Destroys South Korea's No.1 National Treasure

Postby Jacqueline » February 11th, 2008 2:55 pm

Fire destroyed perhaps Seoul’s most famous landmark on february 10th,2008 when flames engulfed the Sungnyemun, more commonly known as Namdaemun or South Gate, the nation’s no.1 national treasure.

An overnight fire destroyed a 610-year-old landmark that was considered South Korea's top national treasure. Namdaemun, the oldest wooden structure in Seoul, was originally built in 1398 and then renovated in 1962, following its damage during the Korean War.

The incident came as a shock for many Koreans, destroying their National Treasure No. 1 at the onset of the Lunar New Year.

The Cultural Heritage Administration said it would take at least three years to fully restore the gate and it would cost some $21 million.

Credits: Yonhap news, International Herald tribune, Chosun Ilbo, the seoul times

The south gate (namdaemun) before the fire

The south gate (namdaemun) after the fire

EDITED
Feb.12,2008

Police officers arrested a 70-year-old man identified as Chae. Chae allegedly confessed to setting fire to Sungnyemun ― also known as Namdaemun.
Last edited by Jacqueline on February 12th, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » February 12th, 2008 2:20 pm

Get 40% OFF
hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » February 13th, 2008 1:35 am

Yeah it's such a SAD incident.... I'm so sad too.
National Treasure #1 disappearing just like that....

BTW, here's an interesting blog post if you want to read more about it.

http://metropolitician.blogs.com/scribb ... in-ev.html

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » April 10th, 2008 5:02 am

Is this news still being widely talked about? How much of an effect is it having on national sentiment?

I was thinking of Namdaemun when I got to the beginner lesson that mentioned it. Wouldn't it be nice if all of the most popular Korean bands and singers got together for a Namdaemun benefit concert? They could raise a whole lot of money towards its restoration.
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » July 14th, 2008 7:29 pm

Return to “News & Politics (뉴스와 정치)”