a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

difference between newbie and beginner

instantstarr
New in Town

difference between newbie and beginner

Postby instantstarr » January 10th, 2009 10:05 pm

Sorry if I am asking a question that has been asked a billion times:

On Koreanclass101, what is the difference between the newbie and the beginner level- Is the newbie level easier? Which one are you supposed to start with first?

matthew254
Expert on Something

Re: difference between newbie and beginner

Postby matthew254 » January 10th, 2009 11:10 pm

instantstarr wrote:Sorry if I am asking a question that has been asked a billion times:
On Koreanclass101, what is the difference between the newbie and the beginner level- Is the newbie level easier? Which one are you supposed to start with first?

this is a totally valid question! here's KC101's guide: http://www.koreanclass101.com/help-center/the-courses/

In my opinion, it's up to you. In real life I would consider myself in the "upper beginner level" but I challenged and learn from all the newbie, beginner, intermediate, and lower intermediate seasons.

It's up to you but I prefer starting as basic as possible and moving up from there. In this case, I would start with newbie season one, and work all newbie lessons first. then, I would move on to the beginner season lessons starting with season one. if you find one lesson to be insanely easy, then take what you want from it and move on. once a lesson that is totally new to you, you're at where you need to be. dig in deep and delve into the .pdf and comment on the lesson itself (b/c that's where a lot of interaction comes from)

some prefer to do all lessons while others swear by only following your level. for example, some people like to follow the advanced lessons and audio blogs in addition to the beginner classes; while others insist that you shouldn't get overwhelmed and should only stick with beginner/lower intermediate/newbie/etc lessons.

I tend to stick with the level/season i'm at. however, I will say that I did listen to just about every lesson, if for nothing else, to be humbled. I also go back frequently and revisit entire seasons to check for comprehension and vocabulary.

hope this helps!

Join by May 6th
instantstarr
New in Town

Postby instantstarr » January 11th, 2009 5:31 am

thank you matthew254. I am relieved that the question is a valid one :o

Thanks for the very thorough reply. Oh I see that newbie is the easier level. I will start with newbie #1 and move on from there. I am not brave enough to listen to the advanced levels. As you described, I am one of those learners who prefers to move from A to Z so I can build on the basics.

This site is wonderful as it makes learning Korean much more approachable and I like Hyunwoo. I gave up on Colloquial Korean because it was way too advanced for a beginner.

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » January 11th, 2009 5:54 am

my pleasure.
instantstarr wrote:(...) and I like Hyunwoo (...)

who doesn't? he's the rockstar of language learning. don't know about y'all but i'm pining for an autograph one day.

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » January 11th, 2009 4:35 pm

I don't know about Hyunwoo being the "rockstar of language learning".. but I must agree that he's a really good teacher. :D

instantstarr
New in Town

Postby instantstarr » January 11th, 2009 10:49 pm

I will second both "rockstar of language learning" and "he's a really good teacher" :wink:

this question has been asked before and koreanclass101 posted in the newbie comments:
" ..you can start with both, actually. But if you’d like to study with more grammatical guidance, please go on with Beginner, and if you’d like to learn some more basic but useful expressions regardless of grammar, please go with newbie lessons"

:arrow: Conclusion: I will alternate between newbie and elementary. I like learning with a bit of grammar too. Thank you all.

owbEe
Been Around a Bit

Postby owbEe » January 12th, 2009 4:20 am

matthew254 wrote:who doesn't? he's the rockstar of language learning. don't know about y'all but i'm pining for an autograph one day.

Haha! an autograph? yeah me too.. :lol:
Last edited by owbEe on January 19th, 2009 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jintana23
Been Around a Bit

Postby jintana23 » January 18th, 2009 2:15 pm

I like Hyunwoo too. He is awesome. I wonder how many languages he can speak.

Alexis
Expert on Something

Re: difference between newbie and beginner

Postby Alexis » January 18th, 2009 2:23 pm

matthew254 wrote:dig in deep and delve into the .pdf and comment on the lesson itself (b/c that's where a lot of interaction comes from)

Although I think it's really good that learners are able to comment and interact with the teachers on here, I think it's main fault is that if you start a lesson/series much later than it was put online, people tend to miss your comment, 'cause they moved on ages ago. I signed up only recently, and have been slowly making my way through the beginner series 1 lessons. I've commented on a couple of things, but no one's replied, as those lessons are old and no one looks at them anymore. :? :(

I haven't listened to enough of HyunWoo's lessons. Just a bit of the blog, most of which I don't understand. Yet. :wink:
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » January 19th, 2009 10:08 pm

I've commented on a couple of things, but no one's replied, as those lessons are old and no one looks at them anymore

It's a fair critique for sure but the forums can easily take the place of that simply because of how many people who have RSS subscriptions to the forums. In addition to the class itself posting, two of our bad mamma-jamma teachers regularly peruse the forums. We're in good hands :P

Return to “Learn Korean Forum Help and Posting Guidelines (포럼 도움말 및 게시물 등록 안내)”