Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Similar Sounding Words!!

mishal
New in Town

Similar Sounding Words!!

Postby mishal » October 2nd, 2008 2:41 am

Just wanted some information on the usage of these few words. In what context they are used and which one is used most frequently in what kind of situation. They all sound so similar because all starts with 그 so i just wanted to know that how can they be categorized. Here's the list :D

그럼에도
그래도
그런데
그런
그래서
그럼
그때부터
그렇다면
그렇게
그러면
그저

The usage of 그럼 and 그때부터 is quite clear to me but im confused about the others specially 그래서 comes up quite frequently :shock: .
pronounciation is also a little issue here. i heard this word which somewho sounds like 'khorochi' is 그래서 pronounced like that????

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Re: Similar Sounding Words!!

Postby manyakumi » October 2nd, 2008 6:06 am

Well... little bit hard to explain though...
Actually I have the same (but totally opposite) concern about this.
I can't get used to say these kinds of conjunctions in english.
Though these are very important nuance maker in Korean language. :(

그렇다면 = 그러면 = 그럼 :
"if so,", "then" ; A suppositive conjunction to say relative subjects or to ask the results of the pre-mentioned context.

그럼에도 = 그래도 :
"even though it's so", "in spite of all conditions"

그런데 = 근데 :
"though it's so", "by the way"

그래서 = 그리하여 :
"after doing so", "so" ; To say a result by considering the former context as its origin.

그런 = 그러한 :
"like that", "that ..." ; an adjective

그렇게 :
"like that", "like so" ; an adverb

그저 = 그냥 :
"just", "simply", "nothing but"

mishal wrote:The usage of 그럼 and 그때부터 is quite clear to me but im confused about the others specially 그래서 comes up quite frequently :shock: .
pronounciation is also a little issue here. i heard this word which somewho sounds like 'khorochi' is 그래서 pronounced like that????

It must be 그렇지.
And it means "That's true", "Yes", "Right", "That's what I meant".

Hope this helps.

:roll:

Join by May 6th
mishal
New in Town

Postby mishal » October 2nd, 2008 8:40 am

Thanks alot for the meanings :) especially for correcting me on the last one :) .

Beside that i wanna know which ones are commonly used in spoken everyday korean like in english 'and so' and 'hence' are more commonly used than 'therefore' because therefore is more formal. Same is the case with 'nevertheless', instead of it 'however' & 'anyway' is commonly used. By short listing words they just help you to concentrate more on those which are commonly used in daily life. So this is what i want ...can you short list this long list for me????

Secondly a few example to demonstrate their use will be helpfull.

[/quote]

Return to “Learn Korean Forum Help and Posting Guidelines (포럼 도움말 및 게시물 등록 안내)”