Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

An introduction

austinfd
Expert on Something

An introduction

Postby austinfd » May 21st, 2008 4:54 am

I discovered KoreanClass101.com in October of 2007. A little while later, I was invited to join the blogging team. Since then the site has grown a lot! So for new members, and even old ones ^^ Here's a little bit about of info about me:

My name is Austin. I'm a 26 year-old American English Teacher living in Seoul. After a few years of teaching in the States, I decided to look into teaching abroad. I didn't have any specific plan about where I wanted to go, I wasn't picky! But I had one friend who was already in Korea, so it seemed like a good place to start. It also didn't hurt that getting a job teaching English is really easy!

I came to Seoul in August of 2006, and almost immediately started studying the language. I planned to spend at least 2 years in Korea, and if I left without speaking any of the language, I would really be embarrassed. To start, I didn't take any formal classes, I just joined a weekly "language club" meeting. I studied there for nearly a year (practicing all the time).

I also started to volunteer at an orphanage, which is usually the topic of my blog.

Because the children there don't speak English, it was a wonderful place to practice LOTS of Korean. Since my job is to teach English, I don't have many opportunities to speak Korean at school. It's a bit unfortunate for my selfish desire to become more fluent!:oops:

I have spent almost two years in Korea and have really enjoyed it. It was a wonderful country with amazing people. It certainly has been challenging at times, language being only one part! This fall, I will leave to go on another adventure, but I am optimistic that I'll be returning to Korea in the future. It will always be an important part of me.

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

usakorjb03
Expert on Something

Postby usakorjb03 » May 22nd, 2008 12:29 am

hey there Austin, Just wanted to say that I've for one had enjoyed your blogs and videos and every once in a while i would go back to the old ones and read. Also, i've am grateful that you had taken time to answer my questions and corrected me when i tried to write some thoughts in korean. I hope by the end of the summer I can speak well enough to hold a interesting conversation with my Mom (she korean) and her family in Seoul. I never met them in person but would love to be able to talk to them one day and I know they want to speak with me one day. When you do leave korean, I hope you will still be around this site cuz i'm gonna need ALL the help I can get.
제 이름은 문신이에요.

Get 40% OFF
matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 22nd, 2008 5:02 am

yeah, on the real austin, i know all who read your blog are intrigued and thankful to be a part of your experiences in Korea.

Return to “Listener's Lounge (청취자들의 공간)”