Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

TV imitating life?

matinga
New in Town

TV imitating life?

Postby matinga » September 9th, 2008 2:54 am

I watch a lot of Korean TV, dramas and movies. Often in the plots, men have no compunctions about screaming at a woman in public or simply smacking her upside the head :shock:
Is this just a cultural image that is introduced into a film to make it funnier or is this behavior simply more acceptable in Korea.

I have an African background and like I see in the K films, African mothers are always beating the crap out of even their grown children. My own mother is still quite scary in this way has smacked me in public even into my twenties....
(this part is always funny in the movies though!)

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » September 13th, 2008 11:25 am

Hmm :) interesting question! I wouldn't say that TV showing men being violent to their wives in public is totally 'wrong' because I've seen it happening in the street a few times in my life, but at the same time I've seen women being the same way to their husbands in public, so ... haha. ^^; I don't know if there's a certain tendency. ^^;;

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
matinga
New in Town

TV immitation life?

Postby matinga » September 14th, 2008 12:40 pm

I live in the US and as u know, here (at least...midwest edge of bible belt) it is culturally inappropriate to carry out any kind of private business in public. Even making out in public is frowned upon. You can't even discipline a wild child if people are watching. It is way too PC, if you ask me...

I travel abroad very often and once in the middle east, I saw a man sucker punch his wife and stomp her in the ribs while she was down....진 짜!!!! The locals did not seem to find it exceptional and went on with their business... :(

But you are right though, the majority of the times that I have seen public fights, the perpetrators are rabid women screaming at the top of their lungs :lol: . The victims are usually cowering males.

It is some how funny when a woman loses it in the streets but it seems very scary to me when a man snaps like that. There is just so much more "someone's about to die" vibes when a man (Korean or otherwise) screams in anger...

I just thought it interesting how this issue is so much more displayed in Korean screens....

Return to “General Culture (문화 일반)”