Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Grammar Check Help Please !! :)

ilwoo214574
New in Town

Grammar Check Help Please !! :)

Postby ilwoo214574 » May 25th, 2012 5:07 am

그래서 형의 일하시느라 준혁누나의 결혼식에 참석하지 못하셨죠? 집에 아무도 없죠? 진짜 외롭겠다!
저는 전공을 늦게 바꿨으니까 12월에 졸업할건데요!

(So because of work, you couldn't attend Junhyeok's Noona's wedding right? There's nobody at home right? That must be really lonely!
Since I changed my major late I won't be graduating until December).

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » May 25th, 2012 8:16 pm

Great job!

Of course there are at least a dozen equally valid ways to say something; therefore, without getting into choice of words, expressions, or phrases, let's concentrate mainly on the grammar.

그래서 형의 일하시느라 준혁누나의 결혼식에 참석하지 못하셨죠? 집에 아무도 없죠? 진짜 외롭겠다!
저는 전공을 늦게 바꿨으니까 12월에 졸업할건데요!

때문에

그래서 형하시느라

형의 (Brother's -possessive) 형때문에 "because of 'your' work"
형이 ("Brother" -may perform an 하다 action) 형하시느라 "'you' busy with work"

These sentences look grammatically correct to me :arrow: 집에 아무도 없죠? 진짜 외롭겠다! however, some points to watch are:

tense
The previous sentence is set in the past, but the two sentences that follow are in the present tense; normally we would imagine a conversation after the event and all sentences would be in the past tense, UNLESS you are NOW talking to "형" on the phone, say, JUST AFTER the wedding. So to be sure your intended meaning is clear pay close attention to tense.
respect form
If you start out with a certain level of respect 일하느라 - 못하죠 be sure to maintain it throughout the entire range of conversation 진짜 외로우겠다! It may be acceptable to use the informal ending '다' because the exclamation is somewhat retrospective, but you should still use honorific 시 to describe any action or condition of that person being respected. And in my opinion it would still be a good idea to use polite form '요,' in keeping with the other statements. 진짜 외로우시겠군요!

The grammar here also looks fine to me :arrow: 저는 전공을 늦게 바꿨으니까 12월에 졸업할건데요! but the statement wording does not appear exclamative so drop the "!" You might reword it something like this 저는 전공을 늦게 바꿨으니까 12월까지 졸업 못 한단말이에요! to give it an exclamative feel. "Because I changed my major late I won't graduate until December!"

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
ilwoo214574
New in Town

Postby ilwoo214574 » May 26th, 2012 8:17 am

thank you so much for your help! i really like your explanations~

kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby kc101com » May 28th, 2012 4:04 am

Hi ilwoo214574,

I guess already perfect comment is on it by trutherous!

Thanks to him and please ask us anytime if you have further questions and also always thanks to trutherous as well!:)

Thank you

Madison
Koreanclass101.com

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”