Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Anki: Great SRS flashcard program

Goosey
New in Town

Anki: Great SRS flashcard program

Postby Goosey » February 19th, 2009 8:45 pm

I recently started using the program Anki ( http://ichi2.net/anki/ ) for learning vocabulary. It is an open-source cross-platform SRS flashcard program.

SRS stands for 'Spaced Repetition System' which means Anki operates in a way that spaces the repetition of cards in a way that is ideal to human memorization. The short explanation is that there is an ideal time to repeat a flashcard: the moment your brain is about to forget. The better you remember the card the farther this moment moves out and it does so exponentially. So at first you may need to review it every day, but soon only every 5 days, then every 3 weeks, then every 6 months, etc.

If your curious about SRS here are some good links:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition
- http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/mag ... rentPage=1

Anyway, I am using Anki and am starting the process of creating cards from KoreanClass101 materials. Based on recommendations from experienced Anki users I am creating only one card type: 힌국 and spoken audio on the front, meaning in english on the back. But if you want its very easy to create cards with anything on front and back entering the info once, since Anki seperates 'facts' (the information) from 'cards' (the information structured into a front and back).

The cards will have some necessary vocab, but it was recommended to try to use words in context rather than by themselves. Mostly I will try to use sentences and phases from the lessons. I am currently extracting the audio manually with sound editing software so if anyone has suggestions about how to make this easier.. :)

I would be glad to share my Anki cards to other KoreanClass101.com subscribers (I don't want to give it out to non-subscribers. They gotta make a buck around here!) so feel free to message me or reply here if your interested. Also if anyone is interested in helping me create cards do contact me!

고맙습니다

beaver
New in Town

Postby beaver » March 17th, 2009 10:53 am

I'd love to have a copy! Thank you!

Get 40% OFF
Goosey
New in Town

Postby Goosey » March 18th, 2009 1:14 am

http://drop.io/KoreanClass101

The guest password is the first name of the main host of KoreanClass101 (for the newbie and beginner series at least), one word all lowercase.

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » March 18th, 2009 1:36 am

I'm using this software from time to time too :) I love it ^^

beaver
New in Town

Postby beaver » March 18th, 2009 2:24 pm

I can't seem to log in, Goosey. Do you just put the password in the password field from that link? I tried all the names of all the hosts and couldn't get anything to work.

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » March 18th, 2009 3:27 pm

I couldn't log in either ^^

erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » March 19th, 2009 5:20 am

hyunwoo wrote:I couldn't log in either ^^

Try inverting the two vowels...

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » March 19th, 2009 10:04 am

Haha that worked!

gerdaleigh
New in Town

anki

Postby gerdaleigh » May 18th, 2010 11:49 pm

Thank you!!

gerdaleigh
New in Town

audio file

Postby gerdaleigh » August 28th, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks for posting! Just a quick question: Is there an attached audio file missing? I can see that there was a file there, but it won't play any audio when I open it, nor is there an actual file attached. Either way, thank you for posting this. I had just started inputting into my own Anki deck the same material. Thank you for saving me a lot of work.

Return to “Korean Resources & Reviews (자료 및 리뷰)”