Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

funny coincidence between languages

Bouks
Expert on Something

funny coincidence between languages

Postby Bouks » April 18th, 2008 4:47 pm

Every once in a while, I come across something funny like this in my language studies.

Do you know why it was easy for me to remember the lesson vocabulary word "술" ? (No, it's not because I drink too much!)

The French word meaning "to get someone drunk" happens to be "soûler". So something that gets you drunk will make you "soûle". It's pronounced the same way as the Korean word. Strange but true...
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » April 19th, 2008 3:52 am

Haha :-) That's such a coincidence!

Hehe. Here's one more example between Korean and French :-)

The word '또랑' in Korean means something like a stream of water (not a big one though)

and the word 'torrent' in French is pronounced very similarly, and means a flow of water as well! :D

Join by May 6th
Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 3rd, 2008 2:52 am

That is interesting, about the torrent. And I learned a new word ;)

Here's another funny language thing, but this time the meaning doesn't fit: the word "kalbi", in Arabic, means "my dog"! It sort of shocks me whenever I hear that word. So, please, don't make me eat my dog :lol:

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » May 3rd, 2008 3:21 am

How about this:

ne

Korean meaning: Yes

Serbian meaning: No

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 3rd, 2008 5:09 am

javiskefka wrote:How about this:

ne

Korean meaning: Yes

Serbian meaning: No

Neat!

...and French meaning: born

Enkiae
Been Around a Bit

Postby Enkiae » May 4th, 2008 4:38 am

Here's one that always boggled me

the days of the week in China, Japan, India, Korea, and Europe have the same planets for the days!

It's less obvious in English...but think about French and Korean days of the week.

(my keyboard isn't working very well right now so I can't write in hangeul, sorry!)
Monday- Lundi- Weolyoil (Lundi- lune....even in English Monday= Moon day)
Tuesday- Mardi (mars)- hwayoil (hwa= fire, or fire planet aka mars)
Wednesday- Mercredi (Mercury) - suyoil (su- water, or waterplanet, mercury)
Thursday- Jeudi (Jeuve, Jupiter)- mokyoil (wood planet, jupiter)
Friday- Vendredi (Venus)- geumyoil (the metal/gold planet is...you guessed it, Venus :D)
Saturday (this one works in English too *Satur*n day)- Samedi - Doyoil
Sunday (*Sun*day)- Ilyoil.

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » May 4th, 2008 6:30 am

In English, we have had our days named after Norse gods for the most part since the Vikings invaded England.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 4th, 2008 1:15 pm

the days of the week are the same in spanish as well: lunes, martes, miercoles, hueves, viernes, sabado, domingo (please pardon my spelling if it is not correct, it has been a long time since i've written anything in spanish).

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 4th, 2008 3:44 pm

I was wondering, and had noted for a future forum topic, to ask about the meanings of the days of the week in Korean. Very interesting.

In Arabic and Persian, the days are essentially numbered, except for Friday ("jumu'a") which carries the meaning of a holy day. The Persian "shambe" for Saturday, also isn't an ordinal number, so I would be curious as to what it means. (Probably means "Don't even think of disturbing me, it's my day off.") But the other days around these are numbered (first day, second day, etc.)

namisu
New in Town

Postby namisu » May 7th, 2008 9:04 am

A friend of mine once told me , that Turkish and Korean share the same roots, they are both supposed to be Altaic languages...I could not believe him at first, just thought he is kidding, because those two just s o u n d so different,right^^ but somehow there really seem to be similarities in grammar, maybe I'm wrong, but:
in Korean there exists this tendency to repeat,hmm, syllables, example:
눈이 퐁퐁 와요? ( I love that 퐁퐁, haha)
in Turkish that seems to exist, too... is anyone in here familiar with Turkish?

Something else just came in to my mind :P
family in Korean is 가족 , in Japanese it is kázoku...

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » May 7th, 2008 10:29 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think both Korean and Japanese have their roots in the Chinese language. So that's why many words in these 3 languages sound similar. In fact, Korean used to be written entirely using Chinese characters (Hanja) although they were pronounced differently. It was only later that the Korean characters as we know them today were used.

bialun
New in Town

Annyeong, yeok chom haja)))

Postby bialun » May 7th, 2008 1:29 pm

in french there is an rude word "con" similar to english "c..t" but in korean it is a ball or even air...it's gotta be a hamja hieroglyph!
sorry for the obscenity, but when it's a linguistic talk everything is natural)

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 7th, 2008 2:57 pm

Where I lived in France, the word "con" simply meant "moron". Still rude...but to refer to female anatomy in a pejorative manner, there were other nasty words to use. Never seems like there's a shortage of nasty words in any given language :roll:

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » May 8th, 2008 12:46 am

shanshanchua wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think both Korean and Japanese have their roots in the Chinese language. So that's why many words in these 3 languages sound similar. In fact, Korean used to be written entirely using Chinese characters (Hanja) although they were pronounced differently. It was only later that the Korean characters as we know them today were used.

Those languages share a certain history in that there is some common vocabulary (at least based on the Chinese characters)

But when linguists talk about the relationships among languages it is about much more than just vocabulary. They are interested in the structure of the language, and the development over history. Read the Wikipedia article for some good basic info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_language

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

namisu
New in Town

Postby namisu » May 8th, 2008 7:34 am

The "Korean" word for a part time job is 아르바이트 ...
how did that come up? The German word "Arbeit" does not only mean part time, but job in general...full time part time any time^^

(by the way: Austin씨...
고마워요..I'm not a huge fan of wikipedia, but that link was useful, the article also mentioned the resemblance with Turkish....)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”