Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

translation please

dukemasuya
New in Town

translation please

Postby dukemasuya » March 22nd, 2008 5:34 am

I am doing a little experiment to see if it possible to learn Korean in Korean without any prior knowledge. So could someone translate this passage of text into Korean and if you can, record an mp3 or wav of yourself saying it at a moderate speed and leave a link to it or something. I would like the translation in 합쇼체 form please! Thank you in advance:

-------------

Hello My name is Matthew! I am from Australia. I am doing an experiment to see whether it is possible to learn Korean in Korean without any prior knowledge of Korean. So you will see lots of pictures and diagrams in this Powerpoint.

The first phrase I want to show you is "안녕하세요!". This is used to great someone in Korean. Did you know that the word "안녕" means "peace"? Anyway, when you see a friend and you want to greet them you say "안녕하세요!" or you meet someone for the first time then again you say "안녕하세요!".

OK, you want to introduce yourself now to that person whom you met for the first time. So you want to say what your name is. You say "저는" then your name then "입니다". So if your name is Peter then you say "저는 Peter 입니다". "입니다" comes from the verb "이다" which in English means "to be". This is then conjugated into the 합쇼체 because this is a formal situation and into the indicative mood. Therefore you have "입니다".

Then to say that you're pleased to meet someone, you say "반갑습니다". "반갑습니다" comes from the verb 반갑다 which means "to be happy or pleased". Then you conjugate it into the 합쇼체 and into the indicative mood and you have "반갑습니다".

So you can now introduce yourself in Korean. Practice what we have learnt by reading aloud what is on the screen. I'll give you a little while to say it then I'll say it with the correct pronunciation so you can see how you went.

안녕하세요! 저는 Michael 입니다. 반갑습니다!

Ok, that was good. Thank you for participating in this test. I hope you learnt something from this. Byebye!

-----------------------------------------

Anything in bold you can leave in English. Thank you again for helping me!

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » March 24th, 2008 12:11 pm

Matthew ;-) This might take some time, but I'll see what I can do ^^!
Get 40% OFF Forever Discount

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”