a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Problems Differentiating Between Consonant Sounds

thaizascythosaskand_226625
New in Town

Problems Differentiating Between Consonant Sounds

Postby thaizascythosaskand_226625 » August 23rd, 2014 11:13 pm

안녕! :)

I am currently having problems differentiating between non-aspirated, aspirated and double consonant sounds in spoken Korean (I have problems recognising them and pronouncing them). I'm aware of the rules (aspirated consonants have a slightly more stressed sound and a puff of air should leave the mouth when they're being said; double consonants should have a more stressed sound and should always sound like the single consonant in the middle of a word (i.e. ㄲ should sound like a stressed 'g'), with the exception of ㅆ, which has a longer hiss than ㅅ).

How do I overcome this? Is there any special method, or do I just listen to enough words (seeing the written words, of course), making sure to change my pronounciation to be similar to theirs and, eventually, this problem will disappear (or similar to this, but with individual sounds)? Roughly how long will this take to learn (I know that putting more time into it would make it quicker to learn, but is it possible to give a number for this)? I am beginning to recognise the difference, but I not very good at it, nor am I good at pronounciation. Maybe I am being a little bit impatient (I am new to this an I'm fully aware that this doesn't come easily to those whose native language is English)?

Thanks for your time! :)

community.korean
Expert on Something

Re: Problems Differentiating Between Consonant Sounds

Postby community.korean » August 27th, 2014 6:51 am

Hi there,

I can tell that you are very eager to master the Korean language!
As you said, you already got the rules down and know how to study―listen to how native Koreans pronounce different sounds.

It is hard to give you a specific time frame of how long it will take to learn as some people are better at picking up the language than others. And it depends on how much time and effort you put in.

But it seem like you know what to do and how to improve your pronunciation pretty well.

The only thing you need is some patience! :wink:

Keep it up!

Regards,
Claire
Team KoreanClass101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”