Postby nhilbourn » December 24th, 2012 4:26 pm

안녕하세요?

자주는 '구' 이나 '구요' 문장 결말을 봐요.

구/구요 의미 뭐예요?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Re: '구' 결말 의미 뭐예요?

Postby trutherous » December 24th, 2012 10:16 pm

I think it's typically a colloquialism of ~고 (~고요) a kind of quotation particle .. roughly equivalent to "I told you; I am telling you" and "I/he/she/they said/say"

In writing it should probably always be 고 (고요) but in speech it is often said "구" and written "구" in books when an author wants to convey a more colloquial feel -- but both are grammatically correct as far as I know.

나도 간다고..(고요) I said I'm going too // I'm telling you I'm going too.

~~ 했다고요 (구요) --I'm telling you ~~ did it; --I/he/she/they said/say it was done

Textbook example:
"참, 우리 어머니가 내일 스티브 씨 놀러 오라고 그러시던데요. 같이 저녁이니 하자고요. Oh, my mom said that you(스티브 -Steve) should come over tomorrow. She said we should (lit. let's) have dinner together. "
Here the second sentence example ending "..고요" corresponds to "said," and can equally be ended with "..구요."

When preceded by "~더" (which conveys a past situation experienced by the one speaking) the pattern (~더라고/ ~더라고요/ 더라구요) emphasises the validity of what the speaker is saying about his experience. Kind of like "I'm telling you it was like..." or "I remember it was like..." ex: 그 식당의 음식이 맛있더라고요 I remember (from my experience) that the food at that restaurant was tasty.

ALSO - the non-final sentence ending "..고; ..고요" (which may be pronounced "..구; ..구요" ) can mean something similar to "is/does/ also" as in this example:

"일을 도와 주지 않은 할아버지를 은근히 원망하는 소리이기도 하고요" -What was said was also subtly blaming Grandfather for not helping out.

Although it may seem a bit awkward to hang a sentence ending with "하고" "does also" or 있고 "is also" this seems to be somewhat common in speaking.

Merry Christmas

성탄절 즐겁게 보내시고 새해에 복 많이많이 받으세요

Get 40% OFF
community.korean
Expert on Something

Re: '구' 결말 의미 뭐예요?

Postby community.korean » December 26th, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi trutherous,

Thanks for the comment to Nhilbourn.

Hi nhilbourn,

I just want to say something more.
"~고요." is the standard Korean.
However, "~구요" is the kind of Seoul Dialect. It's used in Spoken language.
When you say "~구요" in the middle of conversation, it sounds more familiar and soft.
For example, "당신이 어제 저에게 약속을 하였구요, 그래서 저도 함께 가기로 하였구요."
"~고요, ~구요" Those are same meaning of them.

Hope it helps :wink:

Anne,
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”