a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

A few random questions...

mabeopsa4391
New in Town

A few random questions...

Postby mabeopsa4391 » April 13th, 2012 9:47 pm

I have a few questions about some Korean I've heard in songs and such :lol:

1. Most of the time when I'm listening to Korean music, the lyrics will say 끝은 but in the song it's pronounced like "끄츤", it seems to just be for 끝, and I'm curious as to why it's pronounced that way

2. What does it mean when a -를 is attached to the 지 in -지 않아
For example: 내 심장이 튀지를 않아
I have an idea as to what this is, but I'm not quite sure

3. What's the difference between (으)면 and 다면? I think 다면 is hypothetical "if", but I'd like to make sure

4. What is the use of the (으)려 verb ending? I hear it sometimes, and I can't find any info on it so far

5. Is "-면서도" different from "면서"?
Like in "내 맘을 설레게 하면서도 나 빼고 다른 여잘 생각해"

One last question:
Could anybody translate this sentence for me?
이 넓은 세상 반은 남자 너 하나 빠져봤자
Specifically, the part after "남자"
The translated lyrics say "Half of the world('s people) are men, it's ok if you aren't in it", but I don't see where they got "it's ok if you aren't in it" from

Thank you in advance :D

Edit: whoops, forgot something
sometimes in songs they'll seem to add another ㅅ before 속 like in "머릿속에" or "뼛속" (which I assume to be 머리 속 & 뼈 속) is there a reason for this?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » April 14th, 2012 9:04 am

I dunno -should I attempt to answer these? I'm not even Korean by blood. I should leave these for a qualified instructor or site employee, but knowing the rate at which things are answered around here the sun will rise in the west before there is a reply --so here goes:

Hi "mabeopsa"

1. Most of the time when I'm listening to Korean music, the lyrics will say 끝은 but in the song it's pronounced like "끄츤", it seems to just be for 끝, and I'm curious as to why it's pronounced that way

I've often wondered why the latter part of "fuel" and "mule" sound similar and yet are spelled so differently --that's just the way they are pronounced I guess. Now with "끝" when that last consonant "ㅌ" carries over to a vowel a funny thing happens, it sounds a lot like "ㅊ," although to me it sounds like Tc rather than Ch.

끝이다 -the end - this is the end - spelled goot-i-da but sounds like gootchida
끝은 아니다 -this is not the end - spelled goot-eun a-ni-da but (as you pointed out) sounds like gootchen anida

anyway that's just one of a few pronunciation quirks with final consonant (받침) sounds

2. What does it mean when a -를 is attached to the 지 in -지 않아
For example: 내 심장이 튀지를 않아
I have an idea as to what this is, but I'm not quite sure

I can think of several possible translations of the example you posted so I am not going to try and interpret it, but as far as the grammar is concerned, with the exception of '을' being used as a future tense particle, 을/를 is used as post-position particle (조사) to show that the preceding item receives action

3. What's the difference between (으)면 and 다면? I think 다면 is hypothetical "if", but I'd like to make sure

Wow, you are making me think -- now my head hurts. Yeah.. you are kind of onto something with the term "hypothetical." The two forms are nearly identical and are usually interchangeable but with a subtle change in emphasis depending on usage. I think '으면' is more direct and in the here and now (scratches head for examples):
놓아주지 않으면 고소할 거야 -If you don't release me I'll sue (bring charges). Emphasis: presently being released
놓아주지 않다면 고소할 거야 -If you don't release me I'll sue (bring charges). Emphasis: on being released *at some point

in some cases it seems to clarify tense:

This sentence could be interpreted in past or future tense
당신이 했으면 좋아요 -It would be good if you are the one who will be doing that. -or- I'm pleased if you did it.
This sentence should only be interpreted as past tense, stressing a preference for who does the work.
당신이 했다면 좋아요 -It's good if YOU are the one who DID that. --I'm please if YOU did it.

4. What is the use of the (으)려 verb ending? I hear it sometimes, and I can't find any info on it so far

no clue -- give some examples

5. Is "-면서도" different from "면서"?
Like in "내 맘을 설레게 하면서도 나 빼고 다른 여잘 생각해"

~면서 -while doing/being
도 -also, additionally, even though
내 맘을 설레게 하면서도 - even though (you are) making my heart flutter, even while making my heart flutter

One last question:
Could anybody translate this sentence for me?
이 넓은 세상 반은 남자 너 하나 빠져봤자
Specifically, the part after "남자"
The translated lyrics say "Half of the world('s people) are men, it's ok if you aren't in it", but I don't see where they got "it's ok if you aren't in it" from

One of the definitions you may not readily find in the online dictionaries:
빠지다 - to not participate in, to absent from 빠진 게 - something missing

Edit: whoops, forgot something
sometimes in songs they'll seem to add another ㅅ before 속 like in "머릿속에" or "뼛속" (which I assume to be 머리 속 & 뼈 속) is there a reason for this?

Haha -- yeah the reason is that's the way it is - certain sounds need emphasis when combined with other sounds or the pronunciation can be confused with other meanings. For example: 바다 (ocean) 바닷가 =beach --if we said '바다가' it would mean "the ocean (is)"

have fun learning Korean

George Posten -aka- 나영훈 -- fellow student
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”