Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean grammar help

mkeithadamm2735
New in Town

Korean grammar help

Postby mkeithadamm2735 » November 1st, 2010 10:30 am

Hi guys, I am new to this language. Have started learning Korean from this site since a month ago. I have to say this website has helped me a lot.
Due to much exposure to Korean shows and frequent practice on writing blogs, I have discovered several grammar points myself. However, I couldn't understand some of them. So, i would like to ask for you kind help.

First of all, -면 means "if" if I'm not mistaken. However, I don't understand the construction of -다면. What are the differences?
Next is the ending -구나. I have seen people said 끝났어 and it means it ended. What is 끝났구나?
Thirdly, the sentence ending -네/네요. What is the nuance behind the ending? 예쁜네요 and 예뻐요. How do they differ?
How do you use the ending 겠습니다? What is the plain form of this ending? How is it differ from the normal ending 입/습니다?
And also, the subject marking particles. I always confused between 은/는 and 이/가. Please please elaborate more on this. I'm having this problem since the starting of my Korean learning.
I have heard people said 말해봐 and 잘해봐. What is this ending?
Lastly, the ending -나요. I know there is a lesson on this but after I have already listened to it I still don't really understand it.

If possible, after the explanations, please write some sample sentences. I think it would be better.
Thanks in advance.

Adam Keith

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello mkeithadamm2735,

Postby timandyou » November 2nd, 2010 2:01 am

Hello this is Tim from KC101.com.
WOW~~! You asked too many questions.

Did you check through our 'Grammar Bank'?
I think... you can get the answer from there (not all but many of them).

You speak English, what if one day I bring you tons of questions about...
first, the usage of "if"
second, the expression of "admiration ending"
third, the difference between "would", "could", "should"
fourth, the usage of "honorific"
fifth, the sentence structures of English (I know there are 5 of them).
sixth, the expression of "let + verb"
lastly, the "might" and "may"...

You wrote, "I know there is a lesson on this but after I have already listened to it I still don't really understand it. "
I am really sorry about that. I really do! I've been doing my best to clearly explain things around here but...... now that's too much.
If I give you simple examples or answers for those seven points, I am sure that you would ask them again to me.

The grammar points you mentioned are all important. I can't just simply give you answer (since there is no simple answer!!!). It takes a lot of thoughts and preparation.
I do want to help you (I think you are passionate about Korean learning). For now, this is too much for me.
Please bring one question at a time. Even one question takes a lot of energy/time/preparation/effort to me.
Hope you understand me,
cheers,

Tim 8)
Last edited by timandyou on November 4th, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
mkeithadamm2735
New in Town

Postby mkeithadamm2735 » November 2nd, 2010 4:22 am

Ahh, that's too bad then. =(
Oh well, i guess i asked too many questions =p
Could you at least explained two of the grammar points? Especially 겠습니다 and -나요 because I encountered them too many times.
I know this is troublesome. I'm sorry and thanks in advance. =)

Adam Keith

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 2nd, 2010 7:05 am

First of all, -면 means "if" if I'm not mistaken. However, I don't understand the construction of -다면. What are the differences?

something something 면 - if something something -/- something something 다면 - if it is something something

Next is the ending -구나. I have seen people said 끝났어 and it means it ended. What is 끝났구나?

구나 - "Ah! So it is!" -/- 끝났구나 - oh wow, it's over/finished!

Thirdly, the sentence ending -네/네요. What is the nuance behind the ending? 예쁜네요 and 예뻐요. How do they differ?

네요 - (polite because of 요) wow (I see) it is -/- 예쁘네요 - wow it/he/she/they is/are pretty -- 예뻐요 - it's pretty

How do you use the ending 겠습니다? What is the plain form of this ending? How is it differ from the normal ending 입/습니다?

겠습니다 (겠다) -will be/do -/- 입니다/있습니다 (있다 -verb of existence) it is, so exists

And also, the subject marking particles. I always confused between 은/는 and 이/가. Please please elaborate more on this. I'm having this problem since the starting of my Korean learning.

이/가 are true subject particles, whereas 은/는, while also used as subject particles, denote the performer of action AND are used as contrast particles meaning THIS and NOT the "other"

I have heard people said 말해봐 and 잘해봐. What is this ending?

(perhaps you have wax in the ears?) 말 해봐 - try saying it -/- 잘 해봐 (really? I never heard this before) -try doing it well

Lastly, the ending -나요. I know there is a lesson on this but after I have already listened to it I still don't really understand it.

나요 - polite retrospective interrogative meaning "is it? -I think it is." (있나요?) or "did you/they (했나요?)

Ok.. now my head hurts -- dear friend you must study for a while and then ask the questions when you can understand the ansewrs.

peace out -- 나... 나영훈

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » November 3rd, 2010 3:40 am

Wow!!

"나영훈의 속전속결 한국어 표현"

대단해요~~~!!
ㅋㅋㅋ

Sean

:wink:

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 3rd, 2010 6:50 am

lol - thanks Sean -- I look forward to a meal and drinks (my treat) sometime in January -- burrr! I bet it's gonna be cold!

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello Sean and George,

Postby timandyou » November 4th, 2010 12:39 am

:P :P :P
I agree with you Sean.
George, yes, it will be so~~ cold in Jan. So be prepare well before heading to Korea.
Are you guys really going to drink without me? :( :( :(
cheers,

Tim 8)

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » November 4th, 2010 8:54 am

trutherous wrote:lol - thanks Sean -- I look forward to a meal and drinks (my treat) sometime in January -- burrr! I bet it's gonna be cold!

Really? Are you gonna treat me? In my home ground, Seoul?
Let's see who'll treat who at last. lol

Sean
:wink:

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 5th, 2010 6:53 am

Oh this is gonna be fun! :D

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello manyakumi & George,

Postby timandyou » November 5th, 2010 7:45 am

"How about me, me, me!!????" :shock: :shock: :shock:

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 6th, 2010 11:37 pm

Tim,

Well what can be done with you in Japan?

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”