a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How to register for TOPIK in the US?

choguan
New in Town

How to register for TOPIK in the US?

Postby choguan » April 9th, 2009 1:38 am

안녕하세요~처음 뵈겠습니다.
저는 지금 미국에 있는 중국 유학생입니다. 4년전 부터 한국어를 배우기 시작했습니다. 중국에서 여러가지 시험장소 있지만, 지금 미국에 있으니까 어떻게 해야 할지 모르겠습니다.
아까 (http://www.topik.or.kr) 이 사이트에서 회원가입 하려고 했는데 한국 주민등록 번호를 입력해야 가입할 수 있더라고요....

Anyone knows how to register for TOPIK if you are a foreigner and you don't live in Korea? I wanna know how to register in the US. Do you have to go to the embassy or anything like that? I looked at the TOPIK website and it seems to say that the 16th test will not be available in the US...is that right?....so confused now.

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » April 9th, 2009 4:32 am

It's a little confusing, and I did it for the first time for this test (the 15th). The registration only opens up usually a month or two before the next test, so you will have to wait until sometime in August to register for the 16th test. As far as I know, it's being offered.

You also cannot use the TOPIK website to register, you must mail in a registration to the Korean Embassy in DC with attention to the Center for Education. I think there might be testing sites outside of the DC area within other consular districts, but I'm not sure. I think it may only be in DC, and they have a few testing sites within the general DC area (MD and VA).

Also keep in mind that the 접수 dates and the test dates are different than the TOPIK site. In fact, disregard everything about the test on the official site. You can call the Center for Education in DC at 202-939-5680 for more information.

Around July/August, you should be able to visit the Korean Embassy's website to download the registration form. http://www.koreaembassyusa.org

Hope this helps.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
choguan
New in Town

Postby choguan » April 9th, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks so much for your explanation, Chris :)
Yeah, I guess registering in the US will be a bit different. But if I want to take the test in New York, can I mail the application form to the New York embassy?--cause I think NYC has an embassy too.

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » April 9th, 2009 2:02 pm

It appears, with a couple exceptions, that the test is administered through consular districts in which case New York has a consulate. The only embassy is in DC, but there are consulates throughout the country--with one being in New York.

There's nothing you can do right now, and it's unlikly they will have any information for the 16th test, but I'd definitly call them when the time comes (perhaps June?). The test is usually proctored at one or two local Korean schools.

Edit: It does appear that the US locations are not mentioned for the 16th test. I'm not sure this is true, so it's worth a call to the Education Center in DC to double check. Otherwise you'll have to wait until next February to register.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”