Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

help with colloquial expressions

mishio
New in Town

help with colloquial expressions

Postby mishio » February 25th, 2009 12:18 am

gosh...i seem to be hitting a bunch of blocks with my studies lately...so many questions! :(

anyway, does any kind soul out there know what is the best reference for looking up Korean colloquial expressions? I've searched the usual suspects - yahoo, naver, etc. and cannot find my answers. :?

separately, does anyone know off hand exactly what these expressions mean?
:? :!:

"발 삗고 자 다"

"빌 등에 불붙다"

I can string the parts together and come up with a general idea....but I am not certain. AIYO....this is for my other class and my homework was due.....yesterday! :oops:

Seriously, if someone can suggest a good search engine or method to figure this way out, please share. I have a feeling my class will present further challenges........

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » February 25th, 2009 6:22 am

발 뻗고 자다
to sleep stretching one's legs
= to feel free from any stresses.

This phrase can be used when someone is out of his/her stresses that had bothered him/her for a long time.

빚을 다 갚아서 이제 발 뻗고 잘 수 있겠네요.
Now I can sleep freely since I paid all of my debt.

발등에 불붙다
= 발등에 불이 떨어지다
to get a fire on one's foot

This can be used when someone faces his/her due very close and got to be hurry.

그는 꼭 발등에 불이 떨어져야 급하게 일을 하는 나쁜 습관이 있어요.
He has a bad habit for doing his work in a hurry right in front of his due date.

I'm sorry for my bad English though,
Hope this helps!

:D

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
matthew254
Expert on Something

Re: help with colloquial expressions

Postby matthew254 » February 25th, 2009 6:33 am

mishio wrote:anyway, does any kind soul out there know what is the best reference for looking up Korean colloquial expressions?

other than a native speaker, the closet reference guide I found is a book called "Looking for a Mr. Kim in Seoul" http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Mr-Kim-Se ... 560&sr=8-3

something online though? not sure exactly...

mishio
New in Town

Postby mishio » February 25th, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi manyakumi :D
Oh..now I understand. Thanks (!) so much for your great explanations - not only were they clear, your English is also superb. No worries :wink:

re: 발등에 불붙다 - to light a fire under someone's foot.
It is interesting & funny to me how, in English, we light a fire under someone's bottom :lol: rather than their foot. Wonder what works better to get one to work faster? :wink:

Hi matthew354 :D
Thanks for the reference link. Regardless of the educational content, sure sounds lke it is a great read from a cultural perspective. Will surely check into this -Thanks again for your kind help!

[/quote]

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » February 26th, 2009 9:36 am

mishio wrote:re: 발등에 불붙다 - to light a fire under someone's foot.
It is interesting & funny to me how, in English, we light a fire under someone's bottom :lol: rather than their foot. Wonder what works better to get one to work faster?

Wow.. thanks for the correction! :D
Yeah, it's very interesting to find the differences between two languages about the same expression.
;)

PS.
Actually, it's more like "to be lighten a fire" than "to light a fire", I guess.
"to light" is supposed to be translated as "불붙이다" and it feels like someone lights a fire on his/her own purpose.
And 발등 means 'the upper side of one's foot', opposite to 발바닥.
Just for your vocabularies. :wink:

mishio
New in Town

Postby mishio » February 26th, 2009 5:48 pm

hi again manyakumi !

oh...I wasn't trying to correct you at all :oops:
but the clarification helped me understand better now.

Thanks again!! :D

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”