a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

newbie questions by a newb

molores
Been Around a Bit

newbie questions by a newb

Postby molores » January 23rd, 2009 10:51 am

Hi All!
I was just wondering is there any way to say the word 'about' in one korean word? I find it has different uses in English and was wondering if there is a multi-functional word in korean as well?
I.E.
It's about time!
About that, I don't know..
The book is about love.
I was thinking about Christmas when you came in.

thanks!!!

also.. another thing I'm not sure of... when I speak English I always use "I think that~~" but I asked my friend and she said most of the time they don't say they think something is like this or that.. they just state the fact or say it like 것 같아 which is "seems". Is there another way to say it because it's weird if I say 것 같아 all the time or is it just normal?

kyuree
Expert on Something

Re: newbie questions by a newb

Postby kyuree » January 23rd, 2009 12:50 pm

molores wrote:also.. another thing I'm not sure of... when I speak English I always use "I think that~~" but I asked my friend and she said most of the time they don't say they think something is like this or that.. they just state the fact or say it like 것 같아 which is "seems". Is there another way to say it because it's weird if I say 것 같아 all the time or is it just normal?

It's just normal ^^
It's the Korean equivalent even if the exact meaning is different. Koreans are more subtle and not as direct as most Westeners.
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
cheri
Expert on Something

Re: newbie questions by a newb

Postby cheri » January 25th, 2009 1:48 pm

molores wrote:Hi All!
I was just wondering is there any way to say the word 'about' in one korean word? I find it has different uses in English and was wondering if there is a multi-functional word in korean as well?
I.E.
It's about time!
About that, I don't know..
The book is about love.
I was thinking about Christmas when you came in.

There's unfortunately no single, all around, multi-functional word for "about" in Korean. It would depend on the usage/circumstances.

For example, when you're using "about" in your example, "a book about love," you might use the ~에 대해서 pattern (=사랑에 대한 책).

But when you use the word "about" in a way that is similar to "around," there are different words you might use such as "한.. 쯤.. 정도." For example, "Shall we meet around 1?" --> "한시쯤 만날까?"

And in your first example, "about" sounds like it's used as "finally," and there are many different ways in which you might express that... ^^

molores
Been Around a Bit

Postby molores » January 27th, 2009 8:43 am

thanks!!! those sentences help a lot.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”