Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

dating and politeness level

HighTreason
New in Town

dating and politeness level

Postby HighTreason » December 2nd, 2008 11:49 pm

Ok, I feel a little weird asking this on here, but I really need to know, and the people on this site are so darned helpful, so here goes:

I have found myself in a brand new relationship with a Korean girl. By brand new, I mean it's only about two days old. She doesn't speak much English at all, so most communication is in Korean. I'm kind of confused on what politeness level to use in a relationship. With the relationship being so new, we don't know each other that well, but we have... uh... slept together. She's still using the 어/아/여요 endings a lot instead of 반말. With things having gotten this, well, intimate, should I still be using that manner of speech? When do we switch? It's all kind of confusing. She is about 12 years younger than me if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help :)

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » December 3rd, 2008 2:03 am

Congratulations! :D Korean gf/bf's are the best way to improve your Korean!

Most relationships deal almost exclusively in casual Korean. However, there are some instances where polite Korean is used.

But as your relationship is quite new, and your significant other is 12 years younger, she'll be using polite Korean. And she will most likely continue to use polite Korean unless she builds a really strong comfort level with you.

But for you, I think you can use casual Korean after you've become accustomed to her (not meaning physically :P). Casual Korean is totally ok right now as it is, but making an abrupt switch can seem a bit rude. So try to sprinkle some casual Korean in there little-by-little, gradually making the full switch. If that's what you want that is....

Speaking polite Korean the whole time is complete acceptable as well, but that might show that you're trying to keep a bit of distance. But again, it's all up to you :)

Join by May 6th
yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » December 3rd, 2008 12:08 pm

Keith wrote:Congratulations! :D Korean gf/bf's are the best way to improve your Korean!:)

창티한일이 아닙니까?
창티: 창피가 티나는 일
I am a forever ESL student.

HighTreason
New in Town

Postby HighTreason » December 12th, 2008 8:50 am

Thanks for the reply. Things have gone to standard Korean at this point, by the way. It was just weird at the beginning. Although, she went away for two days and when I saw her for the first time after that yesterday, she started using polite speech at the beginning but reverted to standard again a short ways into the conversation. I don't know what this means or if it means anything at all.

English has nothing really like this, so it's a little hard to interpret subtle meanings conveyed by the use of the politeness levels, if there is any at all. I guess I'll just keep talking to Koreans and I'll eventually get a feel for it.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”