Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

File Names Consistency

robleeteach
New in Town

File Names Consistency

Postby robleeteach » August 19th, 2009 8:02 am

Anybody have a list of the file names and what lessons they belong to?

There's an ongoing problem that the naming convention isn't consistent and sometimes wrong.

I'm not trying to be a snob about it, but it would really help when I'm trying to look up old lessons.

Thanks.

erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » August 20th, 2009 3:50 am

The file names are pretty consistent in my opinion. However the naming convention has changed a little at the beginning of March 2009. Before, every file name was preceded by a unique number which was incremented with every lesson. This has been dropped since then.

However, another thing which is more annoying is the inconsistent meta-data of the mp3 files. Sometimes the title is missing, sometimes the "album" is called "Intermediate Lesson S2" and sometimes "Intermediate S2", sometimes "Newbie Season4" and then again "Newbie Lesson S4". As a result, when you want to listen to all lessons of a season in a row, you cannot just open an album and give it a listen, you constantly have to look for the right lesson in the MP3 player. Oh, and sometimes the track number is missing as well... Definitely some room for improvement.

Get 40% OFF
javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » August 20th, 2009 4:32 am

It's ok, those kind of things bother me too ;) I definitely recall this being an issue, but I usually use the web site to listen to lessons these days, so I had forgotten about it.

Doesn't iTunes rename podcast files according to the metadata? If so, then the filenames should be consistent unless the metadata is not formatted consistently, as Erich said. I think it's just that the naming scheme has changed over time from season to season.

If that's the case, you can use a program like mp3tag if you're running Windows to batch edit the metadata and then use that to rename the files.

Return to “Learn Korean Feature Requests (서비스 요청)”