Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Sogang: People who have taken Korean classes there already

kyuree
Expert on Something

Sogang: People who have taken Korean classes there already

Postby kyuree » March 10th, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm applying for this scholarship that lets German graduates w/ previous knowledge in East Asian languages take languages classes in the country at a university.
I have to hand in my application until the end of the month and I have to say from when to when I want to be in the program. The scholarship can be between 7 and 12 months.

[s]I saw Sogang has a summer course starting in June so 7 months will be until December. But does anyone know when the winter classes begin/end? (Will send an e-mail to Sogang, too).[/s] (sorry, just saw the table on the webpage...)

What's the placement test like? I'm currently studiyng by Sogang book 3B but I guess I will be put in a level much lower after a test. (Which is not a problem if I really can study for 7 months or more there I guess).
Is it only written? Is there listening comprehension? I'm good at that but not so good at speaking (that's why I want to go to Sogang...............)

I didn't see prices on the homepages. How much is one 20h course (like one summer course).
From what I read about the scholarship, the monthly scholarship money for graduates in Korea is 950 €/month (that's a lot, probably more than I would need to live in Seoul) but the university fees can only be covered up to max. 4100 €.
I saw the Sogang summer school that includes credit classes on Korean media and what not (I'm a graduate, I don't need credits!! And I have a degree that is more than a bachelor, similar to a master's. Don't intend to go back to school). That summer school is 2400 $ for only one summer.
I guess 4100€ cannot cover the fees for 7 months then?

I hope someone can give me some ideas on the overall situation.

thanks in advance

Claudia
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

gillesvdp
Established Presence

Postby gillesvdp » March 15th, 2009 6:10 pm

-> What's the placement test like? [...] Is it only written? Is there listening comprehension?

I know that in Ewha the test is made of at least a written test which includes reading, writing exercises. As for the listening and speaking, I have different information: either a listening exercise, or an interview with a professor to check your speaking ability as well. Again, it might be easy to check by giving a call to the school.

-> I didn't see prices on the homepages. How much is one 20h course (like one summer course). [...] the university fees can only be covered up to max. 4100 €. [...] That summer school is 2400 $ for only one summer. I guess 4100€ cannot cover the fees for 7 months then?

For a 10 weeks programme, the fees are slightly under 1.5 million wons. So if you intend to follow the full programme for 2 sessions of 10 weeks (~6 months), school fees will amount to roughly 3 million wons, or ~1700 euros. So you should be fine with the school fees limit.
Note that the summer intensive programme runs for a shorter period with lots of other "cultural" activities on the side. In my experience, those summer intensive programmes are designed more for students who intend to spend some time in korea for their vacation while learning Korean in addition to being on vacation. Not the other way around.

Get 40% OFF
kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » March 15th, 2009 6:34 pm

thanks for the info :)
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

Return to “Working & Studying in Korea (한국에서 일하거나 공부하기)”