Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Life cost every month in Seoul

Jobs in Korea, schools in Korea, Korean visa questions, living in Korea, and more. If you're planning on studying or finding a job in Korea, get info here.
lhm2007
New in Town

Life cost every month in Seoul

Postby lhm2007 » December 26th, 2008 3:35 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm from Belgium and i'm going to Korea next year as volunteer in orphanages and care about street children. Well, i would like to know how much money i need every month to survive? (without location and foods)

Thinking about hang out with friends 2 or 3 times every month, visiting some places, buy some clothes and gifts, mobile prepaid card, post office, transport with T-money card,...

Any others costs did i forget?

Is it enough from 350 euros to 400 euros???

thankx a lot for your help because i'm not living there and i need make my mind clear and plan everything about finance...really thanx a lot

Thomas

gillesvdp
Established Presence

Postby gillesvdp » December 27th, 2008 4:33 am

Hello Thomas (looks like Belgian people are getting in the place :p),

The exchange rate these days is extremely favorable for the euro these days.
With a budget of 350-400 euros excluding housing and lunch (I suppose ?), I think you will be living quite comfortably.

I tried to take your list but in each of the category, you could have very different situations depending on what you actually do. But I tried to do the list as reasonably as I could:
- Hang out with friends 2 or 3 times a month: It depends what you actually want to do and where you will go (some places can be outrageously expensive). I guess if you guys share the expenses and are into noraebanging, take into account 150.000 wons.
- Visiting some places: entry fees (maximum 5.000 wons) [+ extra transportation (if located outside of Seoul) 20.000 wons]
- Clothes: are you into branded clothes or will namdaemun be ok for you? anyway it will be cheaper than what you can get in Belgium
- Gifts: again it depends, but 100.000 or 200.000 wons is good
- Mobile phone: 20.000 wons a month
- Post office: no idea
- Daily transport: 2.000 wons a day

All in all, I think you will be quite fine.
Goof luck :)

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » December 30th, 2008 12:36 pm

lhm2007, I would love to hear more about the program you're interested in joining. Would you mind telling us more about it? I'm looking to get into a similar program next year, too.

Monkey_Monk
New in Town

Postby Monkey_Monk » January 6th, 2009 11:00 am

I was reading about hostels that have lodging for only 21 usdollars a night. they looked clean. One even offered breakfast. Here's the link to the page i was looking at:
http://www.beewonguesthouse.com/en/
I think there are links to toher hostels in other cities somewhere in that site.

Return to “Working & Studying in Korea (한국에서 일하거나 공부하기)”