Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Rice rice rice~

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Rice rice rice~

Postby hyunwoo » August 11th, 2007 11:17 pm

More and more Korean people (especially younger people) are consuming a lot more western food than some decades ago, but the staple food in Korea is still the good old rice with around 3~5 side dishes. So if you go into a typical Korean restaurant and order something, no matter what you pick, you will get that dish with rice. It's as if you were just NOT supposed to eat anything Korean without the rice. :D

Have you tried Korean food before? 한국 음식 먹어 보셨어요?

What Korean food do you like? 어떤 한국 음식을 좋아하세요?

:-)

atomsk
New in Town

Postby atomsk » August 14th, 2007 2:55 am

i love kimuchi ^^
but i want to try korean barbecue

Get 40% OFF
hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 14th, 2007 6:06 am

저도 김치 좋아해요. (I love Kimchi too!)

한국에 오면 같이 삼겹살 먹으러 가요! (If you come to Korea, let's go to eat 삼겹살 together!)

You can check out this posting of a Korean blog to see some photos of 삼겹살(Korean barbecue - samgyeopsal)

http://mj2mz.egloos.com/1911551

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » August 16th, 2007 12:09 am

I think that 불고기 is the representative dish of Korea here in the United States. (대표적인 음식?). It is not the same as 삼굡살, which I like as well. When I lived in Korea I enjoyed 삐빔밥 very much.

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 16th, 2007 1:27 am

Yeah the foods that I personally think represent Korea are 김치(KImchi), 된장찌게(Doenjang Chige), 불고기(Bulgogi), 삼겹살(Samgyeopsal), 김(gim) and 소주(Soju)!

Of course there are lots more than this, but these were the things that I miss most when I travel abroad. :D

What are some other Korean foods that you like, 스티브(steve)?

bayushi
New in Town

Postby bayushi » August 16th, 2007 9:13 pm

Kimchi :D I'm getting hungry. I love kimchi :)
I've found once a nice web page with a lot of recipes: kimchi and other Korean food http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=kimchi
Enjoy!
No matter how dark the night, morning always comes.

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » August 16th, 2007 9:24 pm

I really like 회(사시미). We probably eat 된장찌개 the most around here, it is simple to fix and very good. My daughter really likes 떡/떡볶이. This is making me hungry...

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 16th, 2007 10:30 pm

bayushi wrote:Kimchi :D I'm getting hungry. I love kimchi :)
I've found once a nice web page with a lot of recipes: kimchi and other Korean food http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=kimchi
Enjoy!

Wow, thank you Bayushi 님.

The website doesn't have lots of photos of Korean food, but it sure has an abundance of recipes! Thank you for sharing the info!!

What country are you from? Can you make some Korean food yourself?

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 16th, 2007 10:35 pm

steved wrote:I really like 회(사시미). We probably eat 된장찌개 the most around here, it is simple to fix and very good. My daughter really likes 떡/떡볶이. This is making me hungry...

This is making me miss Korean food sooooo much!!
At the moment I'm in Shanghai for a short period of time and I'm going back to Korea in 9 days. I'm going to have some really good Korean food the moment I get back to Korea.

Yeah, 된장찌개 is really easy to fix yet tastes very good, right? I'm living with a sister who's not so good at cooking, but even she can make some really good 된장찌개 too ^_^

사시미, it's good, but too expensive in Korea T.T

How is it over there in the U.S?

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » August 16th, 2007 10:39 pm

I've never eaten korean food, as far as I know. I bet there are some great dishes over there.

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » August 16th, 2007 11:46 pm

사시미 here is also fairly expensive and the quality can vary from place to place but when I get the chance to eat it I won't pass it up. My daughter is a fan of 산낙지 but I think that is only for the shock value to those around her.
Funny, the Korean teachers that were here recently had just returned from a trip to China. They hated Chinese food there and really didn't want to go out for Chinese fo od here either. But Chinese food here is not the same as it is in China, just like Chinese food in Korea is not the same as in China.
사시미 is the same way; eating it here is different from the way it is served in Korea or Japan. I still like it :D .

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 17th, 2007 12:14 am

I love the taste of 산낙지(live octopus) but I can't eat too much of it at once. :D
As a child I used to think "What? How am I supposed to eat something that's still alive and moving!!!???" but one gets used to it :D and it's probably one of the weirdest things that foreigners might be surprised to see Korean people eating, too.

BTW, your daughter's very very very brave. :D
Does she have a Korean name too?

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » August 17th, 2007 12:18 am

Her Korean name is 나래.

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 17th, 2007 12:32 am

Wow that's a very cute name!!
You know, 나래 means 날개(wings) in the 강원도 dialect.
Also used very often to refer to an imaginary wing for a higher goal.

:D

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » August 17th, 2007 1:14 am

Yes, I knew that 나래 means "wing" but I thought it was a pure Korean word, not 강원도 사투리.

Return to “Food & Entertainment (음식과 엔터테인먼트)”