Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

why so many christian cults?

holdingrabbits7057
New in Town

why so many christian cults?

Postby holdingrabbits7057 » November 4th, 2010 6:05 am

hey. this is my 2nd year in korea and i find that i am frequently the object of conversion attempts. it's just odd, because i wouldn't consider any of them to be mainstream religions. they're always off-shoots of christianity, but always cult-ish. for instance, the jehovah's witnesses who assure me that we share the same religion (but thousands of years of church history disagrees) and then there's the one where they believe that there's a woman in suwon who is god/jesus (?!) do i just not attract catholics or presbyterians or is there something else that's going on historically?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 7th, 2010 4:53 am

I think there are even more cults here in the US than anywhere in the world, and cults are typically very active in recruiting new members. In Korea they are probably more visible because of being concentrated in a smaller area. Doesn't it seem like a general rule that the farther from traditional core beliefs these groups are the more active they seem to be in recruiting? I guess adherents to mainstream denominations just trust that the creator knows what He is doing and will draw in those that are ready to listen.

Get 40% OFF
maddiefossett4431
New in Town

Postby maddiefossett4431 » March 31st, 2011 2:00 pm

The easy answer to the question of "Why are there so many 'Christian' cults?" is Satan.

He takes so much joy in twisting words, and confusing the mind. He whole job is to try and undermine the Children of God....and sadly he does seem to have his job down pat!

I think the previous commenter was right, if mainstream religion recruited like the cults do this world could be very different.

Anyway that is all I got on this!

Have a great day!

Cheers!

Return to “Philosophy & Religion (철학과 종교)”