Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Comprehension check with SuJu-H

matthew254
Expert on Something

Comprehension check with SuJu-H

Postby matthew254 » August 18th, 2008 8:47 pm

okay guys - everyone here knows already that I'm a Super Junior fan so it should come as to no surprise that one of their subgroups has a new song that I like. But for a different reason.

I urge anyone wanting to try out their Korean comprehension to recreate the same process I did for the lyrics of this song. I picked "요리왕" because it's fun and (more importantly) a really simple song that isn't all that fast. I actually had more trouble translating for comprehension a children's song like "내 동생" over this song. lol

So, here's the process (oh come on - it'll take less than 15 minutes)

1) Open the lyrics in one tab ( http://hyemin.net/481 )
2) hold "ctrl" and mouse scroll up to enlarge the text to a comfortable level
3) Open the video in a separate tab ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl6rgrdiG78 )
4) have the audio running and click back to the lyrics page and follow along with the Korean text (not with the video yet)
5) repeat if so desired (i did it two times total)
6) once you think you have an idea of the song's meaning, click back to the video tab and watch the video (available in HQ) with the English subtitles
7) laugh and enjoy this goofy video!

I correctly "translated" about 40% of the song after two listens and reading along with the Korean lyrics. Nothing to brag about but for a song about cooking (that's all I knew from the title) I'm pretty proud of that. It can only get better, right? :P

How did you all do?

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » August 19th, 2008 2:37 am

hahahahahahahahaaa!! good song indeed.. and hilarious video. especially the part where 강인 is on the toilet. and all the random outbursts in the background (어~ 맛있어! 어떻게~) haha..

even the little girl i take care of loves the song. she calls it the silly song. she'll point to my computer and say "silly song silly song" and then after the 자기야 많이 먹어 part she'll laugh and laugh and then dance to the song.

oh, super junior h. gotta love it. have you seen the pajama party video yet? 이특 has a bag that's like a chibi version of himself. it's quite funny.

Get 40% OFF
Chriss
Established Presence

Postby Chriss » August 19th, 2008 6:37 am

Oh, gosh, I love the whole SuJu-H album. It's so much fun and the CD cover's nice, the booklet's got a great layout and the pictures are very good.

But I must say that I only really understood a couple of words here and there. So I've a long way to go. So mainly I just use the lyrics to try to speed up my reading of Hangul and try to get better at hearing different sounds, but I've started looking for grammatical structures, too.^^

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » August 19th, 2008 12:59 pm

'm just like you, Chriss!
I like to read the lyrics along to hte song, and it has really helped my reading. Plus, it helps me to learn the song faster!

파자마 파티 is my favorite song of their album :lol:

Return to “Music, Music, Music (음악)”