Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

The Difference between "Hada" and "Hae"

nadia07
New in Town

The Difference between "Hada" and "Hae"

Postby nadia07 » February 17th, 2011 5:52 am

Annyeonghaseyo, KoreanClass101.com! I wanted to ask this for quite sometime, but I could not get my nerve to do it.

As far my understanding goes, “kongbu hada” is a verb, which means “to study”, and “kongbu hae” means “study”. There are others such as “mianhada” and “mianhae”.

What is actually the difference between “hada” and “hae”? Dowa jusillaeyo? :)

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello nadia07,

Postby timandyou » February 18th, 2011 2:16 am

I found you!!!
This is Tim! Thanks for doing all this!
I can see how much you want to know about this! That's great to know!!!
Okay, let's take a look at your question... Shall we?

you wrote, 공부하다 [gong-bu hada] "to study"
공부해 [gongbuhae] "study"
미안하다 [mianhada]
미안해 [mianhae]
What is actually the difference between “hada” and “hae”?

Okay! First, let's compare those with English words.
공부 [gongbu] is a noun that means "study". It's a NOUN!
공부하다 [gongbuhada] is a verb that means "to study". It's a VERB! - 'standard form'.
Note! in English, "study" can be meant for both a noun and a verb.
and 공부해 [gongbuhae] is a verb that basically means the same as "to study" - 'casual speech'.

Remember this! - the beauty of learning Korean is to learn about the CONJUGATION rules. (there are many)
For example #1,
Standard - 하다 [hada] "to do" i.e) I do my homework. 나는 숙제를 하다. (we don't say it like this!)
Casual (informal) speech - 해 [hae] "to do" i.e) I do my homework. 나는 숙제를 해 (talking to someone younger than you or to your friends)
To make and sound it (above) politer, you add 요 right after 해; so it becomes 해 + 요 => 해요. 나는 숙제를 해요 (politer)
Formal speech - 하 +ㅂ니다 = 합니다 [hapnida] "to do" i.e) I do my homework. 저는 숙제를 합니다. (나 => 저 & 하다 => 합니다).
now you see the difference? it's all about who are you talking to?

For example #2,
Standard - 공부하다 [gongbuhada] "to study" i.e) I study Korean. 나는 한국어를 공부하다. (we don't say it like this!)
Informal speech - 공부해 [gongbuhae] "to study" i.e) I study Korean. 나는 한국어를 공부해 (to the younger or friends)
To make and sound it (above) politer, you add 요 right after 해; so it becomes 공부해 + 요 => 공부해요. 나는 한국어를 공부해요 (politer)
Formal speech - 공부하 + ㅂ니다 = 공부합니다 [gongbuhapnida] "to study" 저는 한국어를 공부해요 (나=>저 & 공부하다 => 공부합니다).

For example #3,
standard - 미한하다 [mianhada] "to feel sorry" i.e) I am sorry. 미안하다 (we don't say it like this!!)
Informal speech - 미안해 [mianhae] "to feel sorry" i.e) I am sorry. 미안해 (to the younger or to your friends)
To make it politer, add 요 right after 해; so it becomes 미안해 + 요 => 미안해요 (politer).
Formal speech - 미안하 + ㅂ니다 =미안합니다 [mianhapnida] "to feel sorry" 미안합니다 (미안하다 => 미안합니다).

and keeps going...
I hope my explanation is easy and very comprehensible for you...
cheers,
Tim 8)

Get 40% OFF
nadia07
New in Town

Thanks

Postby nadia07 » February 18th, 2011 2:38 am

Thanks, Tim!

This information really, really helps! I even wrote in my FB status that nothing beats learning Korean from native Koreans as they know how to make our Korean speech sound more natural as well as the written form. :)

Gamsahamnida!

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello nadia07,

Postby timandyou » February 18th, 2011 5:50 am

hahaha~~~ :P :P :P :P :P
GREAT TO HEAR THAT!!!!
You're very welcome! I am so glad that my explanation helped!
Yeah!!!! :wink:
cheers,
Tim 8)

Return to “Learn Korean Forum Help and Posting Guidelines (포럼 도움말 및 게시물 등록 안내)”