Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

에 vs 으로

cheri
Expert on Something

에 vs 으로

Postby cheri » January 22nd, 2009 8:36 am

Can someone please explain the difference between 에 and 으로 when used in the following context -

회의는 다음 주 월요일 2시로 합시다
회의는 다음 주 월요일 2시에 합시다

or

어디로 가는거야?
이디에 가는거야?

Should I just chalk it up to the fact that there's more than one way to say the same thing? Or are there slight nuances you can help me understand? Situations in which you might use one but not the other?

On another note, sometimes in casual conversation, people leave off certain particles for different reasons, but I still haven't quite figured out when it doesn't matter whether you do or not, when you should, and when you shouldn't... haha. I know that sort of thing just has to come with time and practice. ^^

For example, once I was in a cafe and a song I like started playing, so I said, "이 노래가 좋아" but my friend said it would sound much more natural to just say (in this situation) "이 노래 좋아."

Thanks in advance! :D

cheri
Expert on Something

Postby cheri » January 23rd, 2009 5:00 am

Ok, I asked a friend and here's what I got...

1) In the first example: 회의는 다음 주 월요일 2시로/에 합시다...
...Using 로 makes it sound more polite, almost like a suggestion, as opposed to 에 which sounds more definite and order-like.

For example, you could also use 로 in this context:
...목요일에 보는걸로 할께요... Which was explained to me as sounding more careful, almost like a request (조심스럽게 물어보는 표현) as opposed to just saying 목요일에 봐요.

2) 로 also emphasizes "from point A to point B" while 에 just focuses on one point.
...So while 어디로 가는거야? and 어디에 가는거야? have the same essential meaning, there is a subtle difference...

Q: 어디로 가는거야?
A: (스타벅스에서) 집으로... (Emphasis on going from Starbucks to home..?)

Q: 어디에 가는거야?
A: 집에... (Emphasis on getting home..?)

Just for kicks, I thought I'd share one of the grammar pattern descriptions, courtesy of one of the Yonsei KLI books.

"으로/로 하다"
It is used with a noun and has a meaning of your choice.

Haha ^^

Anyway, after looking through one of my books, I saw that I had written a note from a friend that said it was very similar to the ~Vst 기[로 하다] grammar pattern, which is "used to make a decision, generally used in the case when the decision is made after many people discuss it together."

e.g. 다음 주에 다시 의논하기로 합시다... Let's discuss it again next week...

So now, it's like the pieces of the puzzle are coming together... but I'd like to know your thoughts! ^^

Get 40% OFF
manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » January 24th, 2009 5:48 am

cheri wrote:Ok, I asked a friend and here's what I got...

1) In the first example: 회의는 다음 주 월요일 2시로/에 합시다...
...Using 로 makes it sound more polite, almost like a suggestion, as opposed to 에 which sounds more definite and order-like.

For example, you could also use 로 in this context:
...목요일에 보는걸로 할께요... Which was explained to me as sounding more careful, almost like a request (조심스럽게 물어보는 표현) as opposed to just saying 목요일에 봐요.

I'm sorry to your friend but this is kinda nonsense.
The things about 로/에 don't matter with the politeness thing at all.
Let me show you.

회의 시간은 내일 두 시 하세요.
회의는 내일 두 시 하는 게 어떨까요?

Which one is more polite?
If you don't get their nuances then ask the friend of yours.
Surely he/she will answer the second one is more polite in spite of using 에 instead of 로. And this is because 로/에 aren't related to the matter of politeness.
I guess your friend got influenced by the other facts in those sentences or attitude of saying.
And there is 에 as well even in the first sentence!!
목요일 보는걸로 할게요.

Basicaly,
로 is used for the direction while 에 is for the destination.

로 is more related to the methods.
에 is more related to the right time, the right place.

저는 회사 갔고 그녀는 집 있었어요.
I went(took my way) to the office and she was at home.

저는 회사 갔고 그녀는 집에 그대 있었어요.
I went to the office and she was still there at home.

서울로 간다 means 'the way to Seoul'
서울에 간다 means 'Seoul' just itself.

몇 시로 할까? means 'by means of choosing what time'
몇 시에 할까? means 'what time' exactly.

Hope this not confuse you more...
:wink:

cheri
Expert on Something

Postby cheri » January 25th, 2009 1:15 pm

Thank you very much, manyakumi...^^

Honestly, it's a bit confusing to understand the nuances of two, but I'm sure it just takes practice, practice, practice, right? ^^

I think I'm starting to understand the gist of it... sorta kinda. ;)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”